Questions and Answer Forum

Thank you for visiting the Expat Arrivals Forum. We have thousands of local expats waiting to answer your questions on living and working abroad.

Register or Sign In to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Read our terms of use.
  • Been an investment banker in NYC for the last few years and now going for a job interview in Sweden, anything in particular I should know?
    1 | 6 years 43 weeks
  • Barcelona
    I've heard Barcelona has some great city beaches, and recommendations from expats in the area?
    1 | 6 years 43 weeks
  • Madrid
    I've lived my whole live in slow, suburbia and now we're leaving the periphery of Philly (Philadelphia, USA) for the big, bustling metropolis of...
    2 | 6 years 13 weeks
  • Barcelona
    I've heard the Spanish can be quite rude, or cold,to those unfamiliar with the culture and the language. I assume living in a big city centre doesn't...
    6 | 3 years 40 weeks
  • Barcelona
    Which are the best areas or suburbs of Barcelona to look for accommodation in as an expat?
    5 | 4 years 24 weeks
  • Switzerland
    Are local Swiss schools a good option for expats? My six-year-old will be starting out this coming year, and I'm wondering if sending him to an...
    3 | 5 years 25 weeks
  • Zurich
    Is Zurich an expensive expat destination...I've heard of people having to pay pet taxes and public parking fees in front of their very own house?
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Zurich
    My husband and I are moving to Zurich with our 7-year-old and were wondering if any one could recommend a good area for expat families? My husband...
    3 | 3 years 36 weeks
  • Bangkok
    Do people like to party in Bangkok? What's the nightlife like...hoping it's not limited to the lady boys I read so much about...
    3 | 6 years 9 weeks
  • Thailand
    What's happening with the protests against the King in Thailand? I remember reading about some bloodshed in 2010, and I just want to make sure I'm up...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Thailand
    How necessary is it to learn Thai if moving to Thailand. Is there a large enough expat community where this isn't necessary. What about communicating...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Vietnam
    Planning to buy a SIM and operate using a prepaid phone in Vietnam, but I'll also need to make/receive the rare international phone call. Can any...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Edinburgh
    Moving to Edinburgh from the US and wondering if anyone can give any helpful advice about how to use the NHS in Scotland. I'm only familiar with...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • San Francisco
    Is housing in San Francisco as expensive as I imagine - what options are there for living just outside city centre and what kind of commute can I...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Turkey
    Moving with husband to Istanbul later this year and wondering if I can find a job and work even though I won't have a formal work permit. I'm...
    4 | 4 years 28 weeks
  • South Africa
    I am in the process of relocating my family to Johannesburg, South Africa for a 2 year contract. Although excited about the positives of living there...
    3 | 6 years 43 weeks
  • Vietnam
    What do you need as an American expat to open a bank account in Vietnam?
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Canada
    Hi all, how easy is it finding a job in Vancouver?! I have a university degree, but not a lot of experience...And I don't mind working something...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Turkey
    Planning to visit Turkey on a tourist visa, but my stay may exceed 90 days - can anyone give details about the new legislation that seems to prevent...
    1 | 6 years 44 weeks
  • Brazil
    Do expats feel safe in São Paulo?!  I've been reading horror stories in my guidebook! 
    3 | 4 years 50 weeks

Read more posts about