A visa in Canada only for living, not working.

Lone Wolf's picture
By Lone Wolf - Posted on

From next year, I will have the possibility to work in an American company as a service technician. The company will provide me the working visa for USA. I want to live in Vancouver, BC - Canada (the company policies allows me that). What kind of visa do I need in order to live in Canada and how can I apply for it? I don’t want a working permit for Canada, only a permit to live there for me and my family (wife and 6 years old kid).

Thanks,
Dan

EmmaL's picture
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago

Hi Dan

Unfortunately I don't know if there is a residential-only type of visa for Canada, but Canada's government website is an excellent source of information. This questionnaire can find out your eligibility of living in Canada could help. Have a read of our page on visas in Canada for a general overview.

Where are you from? 

Lone Wolf's picture
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your answer.
I am from Romania.

Before and after posting my question, I did my research and it seems that permanent residence is coming in a packet with working permit.
Permanent residence is what I would like to have because it allows me to enroll in the public healthcare system and my daughter to access the public schools.

I tried that questionnaire you sent me (and some others too) and I have always the question of the main reason of coming to Canada, where I can choose only work, study, business or investment, none of them my case.

Maybe I should ask for advice an immigration agency or to ask directly to a Canadian consulate.

Dan

Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, for most countries, you need to have some kind of tie to the country (e.g. family heritage or a spouse) or else another "reason" to move there -- be it work, investment, study, etc, as you mentioned. Some countries have stricter requirements than others, so there's a chance you might be out of luck when it comes to Canada. Still, with cases like yours, it's always worthwhile to chat to an immigration lawyer and find out if there isn't a nuance in the laws that can allow you to live there.  Best of luck!

Read more posts about Canada