Advice for job change from Qatar to Oman?

prakso's picture
By prakso - Posted on
26 September 2016

I am based in Doha, Qatar since 3 months only. Now i got offer from a company in Oman. Can anybody help me if i can freely change the job? or there is some NOC from existing employer required?

Last seen: 3 days 55 min ago

Hello,

Yes, you will need a certificate of no objection from your current employer. There is a new law coming into action in Qatar from November 2016, which will make it easier to change jobs, although you would still need permission from your employer and the relevant departments at the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of the Interior.

In November 2016, when the law comes into force, all employment contracts will be replaced by new ones and only then will the law be applicable. See here for a recent article and here for an article that was published around a year ago when the change was first announced.

To get clarity on your particular situation, I think you should get in touch with your home country's embassy or consulate in Qatar for advice.

All the best.

prakso's picture

Thanks Meagan for your quick reply. i can get NOC from employer and exit from Qatar and then join Oman.

Now can you tell me one more thing whether Exit permit mentions the destination where i am going? or once i receive exit permit i can go any where i want without anybody knowing country i visited?

Last seen: 3 days 55 min ago

I don't think the exit permit specifies where you are going but you might be asked at some point during the application process - if you are asked, it's better to just be honest about it. The destination shouldn't affect the permit application but if you tell them the truth about where you're going then there's nothing to hide. Otherwise if they find out your intention to go somewhere else or if they find out that you didn't tell the truth in the application they may become suspicious.
Anonymous

GOOD AFTERNOON MEAGAN
I NEED YOUR HELP AND EXPERIENCE FOR MY NEXT MOVE.
I AM WORKING IN QATAR THE LAST 4 YEARS AS SALES MANAGER AND I GOT AN OFFER FOR OMAN FOR THE SAME FIELD --POSITION AND MATERIALS. I AM LIVING HERE WITH MY WIFE. CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME WHICH MUST BE MY SALARY THERE IN ORDER TO HAVE A SIMPLE LIFE ?

Last seen: 3 days 55 min ago

This is a difficult question to answer as everyone has their own particular standard of living and way of life that they are used to - this means that while one salary might be enough for someone, the same salary may not be quite enough for someone else to live as they're used to.

Have a look at our Cost of Living in Oman page for a basic overview though. You may find the Cost of Living chart at the bottom of the page useful for drawing up a rough budget and plugging the relevant figures in. You can also try two cost of living websites called Numbeo and Expatistan. They have more detailed and longer lists of costs for various things. This can give you an estimation of what kind of salary you will need to live there.

Best of luck.

Anonymous

Hi, I had to return to the UK whilst working for the British council in Oman. I decided not to return and although the BC said they had done the paperwork, I'm still unsure if I have an uncancelled work visa which ran out in 2014. I'd like to go back to Oman and or UAE at some stage, will this cause me problems in the future?

Last seen: 3 days 55 min ago

If the visa is still uncancelled, your new visa application will almost certainly be rejected. I'm not sure if there's some way to check whether it's been cancelled or not other than taking your old employers' word for it - otherwise maybe ask them for some kind of proof that they did it? I'd imagine they'd have gotten some kind of written confirmation or documentation. Otherwise I'd recommend speaking to your local Omani embassy or consulate to find out if there's a way to check this before applying for a new visa.

Read more posts about Oman