Advice for Single Parent Moving To Belgium?

Nats4795's picture
By Nats4795 - Posted on
28 July 2016

Hi There

I would appreciate if someone could help me below.

I will be moving to Belgium November(it) as I have been offered a job to work for an international company in Vilvoorde. I am a single parent with a son who will be 4 years old in November. I was told that the local Dutch Schools are better for teaching than the local French Schools and would prefer to place him in a Dutch School.

Therefore, I need to think about the school before finding a place to live and how I will be able to get to work on time and be able to collect him. If they have a breakfast and after school club in case I have to work late.

Would anyone know of any dutch schools which have a good reputation. How does the system work as in the UK you go by a ousted report which marks them by Outstanding, Good, Needs Improvement. I understand there are no system, but would like to ensure that my son will be enjoy his time as well as learning a new language.

I would prefer a school which has a pre-primary school attach to it. I understand you are not obliged to send our child to school until they are six. But as I need to work he will need to be.

Although, I am thinking of his school as the main focus. I would also like to enjoy my life as well knowing that I am in a good area and hopefully meet people either locals or international. Which area would be good to live in. Although, I would prefer not to live so close to work is Vilvoorde a nice area. What about Mechelen? Or is it possible to live in Brussels if there are Dutch Schools to put my child in? I do not want to spend too much as I would like to live comfortably and not worry that I have not got much to live on. I would like to a 2 bed property for no more than 800€ (give or take). Is this price possible? As understand properties can be expensive depending on area.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Does your son learn French and Dutch at school, do you have to pay fees?

Best,
Camille

Read more posts about Belgium