Sign in to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Can I get a critical skill permit in South Africa with visitors visa?

juniorstar's picture
By juniorstar - Posted on
05 December 2016

i study in South Africa in 2008 i have South African qualification but i went back to my country of origin to work for the internet service provider there, I am a Cisco network engineer and my skill is among the skill needed in SA, but i am planning to go back to SA, my question is, is it possible to obtain a Critical Skill Permit with a visitors visa. Best Regards

Shantalie's picture
Last seen: 9 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

London, England

Hi Juniorstar,
In 2014 there was an overhaul of the visa regulations in South Africa and now you are no longer able to change from one visa to another type from within South Africa. In most cases, you need to leave and apply at the South African embassy in your home country. From reports I've received the new process actually works much faster although it is a hassle going home and the costs involved are by no means cheap.

For more info on the process check out the Visas in South Africa page.
Are you going to use a consultant to help you apply for your visa?
Your rating: None Average: 2 (1 vote)
Anonymous's picture

yes i need an agent but i first have to register with a professional body that is my biggest challenge.

Your rating: None

Post new comment

Please only respond to the original question. If you have a new question, click here
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comment Note

If you are not logged in, your comment will first be moderated before showing up on the page. Thanks for being patient. Please don't resubmit your comment when you don't see it appear immediately.

If you browser seems to hang when submitting a comment, please click here and reload the main Q and A Forum Page.

Read more posts about South Africa

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.