Questions and Answer Forum

Thank you for visiting the Expat Arrivals Forum. We have thousands of local expats waiting to answer your questions on living and working abroad.

Register or Sign In to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Read our terms of use.
  • South Africa
    I am in the process of relocating my family to Johannesburg, South Africa for a 2 year contract. Although excited about the positives of living there...
    3 | 6 years 47 weeks
  • Vietnam
    What do you need as an American expat to open a bank account in Vietnam?
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Canada
    Hi all, how easy is it finding a job in Vancouver?! I have a university degree, but not a lot of experience...And I don't mind working something...
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Turkey
    Planning to visit Turkey on a tourist visa, but my stay may exceed 90 days - can anyone give details about the new legislation that seems to prevent...
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Brazil
    Do expats feel safe in São Paulo?!  I've been reading horror stories in my guidebook! 
    3 | 5 years 2 weeks
  • Bangkok
    I'm nearly on my way to the land of noodle dishes and sex tourism and was wondering what the protocol is for taking a taxi in Bangkok? Are the...
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Belgium
    Hello Expats! As a kind of last-minute psych-up before I take the plunge and move to Brussels, please let me know what your favourite thing...
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Bahrain
    Dear All I am a little nervous about my upcoming trip to Bahrain (I'll be working and living there for a year, and my family can't make the trip...
    2 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Bangkok
    Looking for reasonable housing in the city centre as a single, and very eligible bachelor...I can't speak Thai and I'm addicted to peanut butter - so...
    5 | 1 year 24 weeks
  • Austria
    I've heard rumours that the healthcare in Austria is absolutely excellent -- are these true?  I'm busy shopping around for a place to go teach...
    5 | 4 years 39 weeks
  • Australia
    Hi Everyone I'm going to be leaving sunny South Africa for a job in sunny Brisbane, and was just wondering if there are any particularly good areas...
    2 | 5 years 19 weeks
  • Cape Town
    I heard they were trying to do away with the exceptional skills permit in SA, is this true? If so, when is the latest I should get my application in...
    1 | 6 years 48 weeks
  • Malaysia
    Is it hard to get a work visa for Malaysia? Any tips on making it easier getting through all the red tape?
    13 | 4 years 39 weeks
  • Kuala Lumpur
    What's the quality of life like for expats in Malaysia?
    2 | 5 years 36 weeks
  • Nairobi
    What areas should I look at in Nairobi as I set up base for two years? I want a nice residential area, with other expats around, not...
    4 | 5 years 12 weeks
  • London
    I've been hearing horror stories about people getting pushed under the Tube during rush hour in London. I'm a small-town gal about to make the move,...
    3 | 5 years 32 weeks
  • New York City
    Moving with my boyfriend - "the American" to New York City in two months. I can barely bring myself to buy boxes let alone imagine leaving my friends...
    3 | 4 years 3 weeks
  • Ho Chi Minh City
    I'm considering teaching English in Vietnam next year and I'm wondering if it's necessary to buy a car for the duration of my stay - should be...
    8 | 3 years 29 weeks
  • Zambia
    There's a possibility I may be briefly relocated to Lusaka, Zambia for six months. It's a short amount of time so I don't think it's worth it to open...
    2 | 5 years 4 weeks
  • Argentina
    I am three months away from my dream move to Argentina... I am very excited, but need to start drawing up a budget for myself. How much should I...
    2 | 5 years 32 weeks

Read more posts about