Can I homeschool my child in Kuala Lumpur?

Motherof2's picture
By Motherof2 - Posted on
29 March 2018

Is there a Homeschooling network in Kuala Lumpur? My son has specific learning challenges that are not being met by the international school system but I haven't considered homeschooling before. We're considering a move to KL and would be based near to Kota damansara are there opportunities for kids to socialise outside school i.e. Homeschooling clubs, scouts, climbing or computer clubs. I'm afraid that he isn't sporty either so misses out on these type of opportunities. Thanks

Kyle de Villiers's picture

Hi Mother of 2,

Are you planning on doing the lion-share of teaching? There are different approaches to home-schooling. Some people form a community/network and split up teaching tasks. 

There are a few parent networks in Kuala Lumpur. As Kuala Lumpur also has an established expat community, you should be able to find other groups of expats looking for social engagement. As it's a big city, you shouldn't struggle for things to do.

It might be useful to read this Expat Arrivals page on kids and family in Kuala Lumpur.

There are also one or two homeschooling centres which operate in Kuala Lumpur. You should be able to find them on the ol' Google. 

As so many materials are easily accessible online, homeschooling can be a great schooling option.

Good luck.

-Kyle
Motherof2's picture
Last seen: 7 weeks 1 day ago

Thank you for a quick response- I'm just doing lots of research to understand our options but it's likely that we'd start off by using one of the online homeschool systems supported by lots of practical activities at home and possibly some tutoring.
I'm just concerned that he has the opportunity to make friends as this will be our second international move and he gets very upset about leaving friends behind.

Read more posts about Malaysia