Cheapest place to live in Hong Kong

Sharee Ussher's picture
By Sharee Ussher - Posted on
26 June 2012
I know that Hong Kong was rated as the 9th most expensive place to live in 2011 but just wondering what are the most expensive places & the cheapest places to live in Hong Kong? When I say the most expensive or the cheapest, I'm simply asking overall (eg. rent, groceries, transport, etc). Thanks!
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 8 weeks 1 day ago

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Sharee, families with young kids tend to prefer the Southern part of Hong Kong Island, while the more expensive parts of the region can be found in the Peak, which is the most affluant residential area. Whether an area is expensive or not for you in terms of the overall costs can also depend on a number of factors, including the type of accommodation you're after, the distance to your office and if you've got kids, the proximity to their school - as all these will affect the costs of transport, and which areas you end up shopping in. For an overview of property in Hong Kong, have a look at our Accommodation in Hong Kong page, and for a more specific breakdown of the different areas in the city, have a look at our Areas and Suburbs in Hong Kong page.
Anonymous

Discovery Bay on Lantau Island near the airport, check out the website rents from 1 bed room flat $10,000 HK 2 bed with balcony and view HK$16,0000
All the way up to detached houses with gardens and 4 bedrooms for HK$100,000 up.
Grocery for 4 people $8,000 month
Travel is quite cheap

Sai Ying Pun is also quite cheap on the Western side of HK island

Anonymous

my name is Divine i am looking for cheaper nursry school for my 2 kids in hongkong
please if know help to direct me . my email address:divine.favour288@gmail.com

Read more posts about Hong Kong