Choosing a suburb in Melbourne based on school zones

Kirsty Tulloch's picture
By Kirsty Tulloch - Posted on
10 January 2012
How do I choose a suburb of Melbourne to look at living based on good school zone catchment areas? My kids are 3,5 and 6yrs old at present. CAn anyone help ??I just do not know where to start. 

Anonymous

Hi Kirsty,

It really depends on if you are sending your child to private school or gov't? All the "public" schools are pretty much the same, they all have the same curriculum. The difference is really between public vs. private. Private schools run around $20,000 a year, so we send ours to public, and I find it is great. My kids are 5 & 7, and I have no complaints. I hope to have been of some help, good luck!

Danielle

AlisonRipleyCubitt's picture

Melbourne, Australia

United Kingdom

Alison's Website
Dear Kirsty,

A great place to start would be in the South East in the Bayside area.  Brighton is the most expensive suburb and if your budget doesn't run to renting or buying a house there, look at the immediate surrounding neighbourhoods.  Brighton East, Sandringham and then further out to Beaumaris.  Beaumaris doesn't have a train service but it's a quick run to Brighton station.  

The eastern suburbs of Melbourne have highly regarded schools too.  Again if you can't afford Toorak or South Yarra, then look at the outer eastern suburbs such as Balwyn.

Out in the west a number of new primary schools have been built as this area of Melbourne has been most recently developed with new housing developments.  You get much more for your money out here than you do in the established areas and house prices to rent or buy are the cheapest in Melbourne.   

Ultimately though your choice of suburb has to take into account the distance to and from work.  Melbourne's vast sprawl means that you would, ideally, want to live and work on the same side of the city.  Getting across from one side to the other at rush hour is a time-consuming business.  Good luck with your search.

Alison Ripley Cubitt
Melbourne Expat Expert 

Anonymous

I've got a similar problem in that I'm about to start working in Abbotsford and I'm wondering where best to focus my house search for the kid's primary schools. Ideally I don't want more than a 30-40min commute and access to public transport. Any ideas welcome.

Anonymous

My wife and kids have recently moved to Melbourne and are looking for schools for our kids. We are living in Northcote and have been looking at our different options. I'm not sure about school uniforms either. Can you purchase them through the school itself or do you purchase them online? I found an Australian site called http://www.stubbiesschoolwear.com.au Any advice or help?

Karina Rook's picture

United States

Australia

Karina's Website

You can use this site to examine schools at a high level within a geographic area.
http://www.myschool.edu.au/
When selecting schools, look at balance of genders, test results, whether religion is taught, what other languages are taught, homework policy, after school care, etc. Look for evidence of a strong parents association as this usually leads to more funds available and better quality education.
The State Govt allows each public school to choose whether uniforms are required, and generally uniforms are used. Always contact the school first before buying anything as there is a blend of school-run shops, supplier-run shops and general uniform retailers in Melb schools.
Choose a suburb close to work, and send the kids to the local school. You'll make more friends and meet more neighbours if they attend the local school.
Visit at least two schools when the students and parents are there (drop off or pick up time) and observe. Do the teachers talk to the kids nicely? Do the kids seem happy? Does the Principal know student's names? You'll soon know which school is best for your child.

Anonymous

Iam planning to move in melbourne by mid of July, can anyone tell me if my 5yrs old will get the admission in middle of the terms.

Anonymous

Children can join school anytime during the year, subject to the school having space for them.

Read more posts about Australia