Cost of Living and condition in Nampula - Mozambique

Mahesh Janye's picture
By Mahesh Janye - Posted on
21 March 2012
I got a job offer for Mozambique in Nampula City, can any one help me urgently to tell about cost of living and general situation there. I am Planning to move there by End April 2012 or May 2012
Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Mahesh

Nampula is an inland city and hot and humid most times. It is the third largest city in Mozambique and you will find all the usual amenities there, including shops, restaurants, banks etc. Portuguese  is the most widely spoken language as well as the local Mecua language - learning to speak one/both of these is important for communication in the city, as English is not as widely spoken. However, there is a growing expat community in Nampula, mostly working in the NGO and aid work/humanitarian sectors. The cost of living in the city can be steep, with accommodation in particular likely to take up a huge chunk of your salary. Food can also be expensive, but fresh produce is generally cheaper in the local markets.

We don't yet have a guide for Mozambique, but once you are settled in the country, we would love to hear from you and hear about your own experiences living in Nampula.

Good luck with your move!

Catherine
Heldio Dimande's picture

Hi there, I am also moving to Nampula for work purposes, and would love to know more about the expat community in the area, live music and social events other than the ordinary nightlife, I just left Cape Town a few weeks ago, relocating to Nampula in the next few weeks. Please advise on possible links

tompitman's picture
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago

London

London

Tom's Website
I am jealous, working in Mozambique will be very exciting. The country is booming and I believe opportunties abound. Good luck and have fun!
Anonymous

Nampula is quite a pleasant and relatively safe city (compared to many African states and certainly Maputo). However, due to the influx of migrant workers and immigrants the population has exploded in the last decade. This has put a strain on the local infrastructure which was already 50 years behind SA and pushed property prices/rents through the roof, so to speak. However, if you can budget then you shoudl be able to have a comfrtabel standard of living there. It is , as said in a previosu post, a boomign country / economy and may lead to further opportunities in the future for you. good luck

Anonymous

how much tax free salary in USD per month should an expat expect with 10 years of sales and marketing experience in FMCG? Apart from this tax free component, will a salary of USD200 per month be sufficient to cover food and petty expenses?

GabyS's picture

South Africa

The Expat Arrivals Guide to Mozambique has just begun! If you are an expat in Mozambique please contact us to help expand our guide.
Peterd's picture

I am already in Nampula. I am getting familiar with the conditions here. But I still don't know where to go especially on weekends, it is a bit boring. I wish to meet other expats living in Nampula. Cheers, Peter

Anonymous

I am living in Nampula since July 2012. I am a portuguese citizen. If you need any help please contact.

Anonymous

I am planning a trip to Nampula . Can I get an idea on the rental for a two bedroom apartment ? How much deposit will be required? Thanx . From rainebird@gmail.com

Anonymous

Rent in Nampula varies depending in the area where you want to live. I think most will ask for three month advance payment.

Anonymous

I have got an offer for a job in nampula. Will $ 1300 in addition to housing and transport allowances be sufficient to have a decent life in nampula.

Anonymous

It should be ok.

Read more posts about Mozambique