Posted by Fiftyzz
Hi all, I'm moving with my spouse to Oslo for work for at least the next 5 years. I am wondering if it makes sense to hire an international moving company to ship all of our belongings (door-to-door) from our current home in the mid-west US. I'm interested in knowing a ball-park estimate of how much it would cost to move our belongings (think of a 2-bed room fully equipped apartment). Alternatively, we could sell our belongings in the US and repurchase them again in Norway - but I hear prices in Norway can be quite high. I guess this alternative would make sense though if the international shipping cost is prohibitively high. Any comments or ideas you may have from your experience will be appreciated!
EmmaL on 2 Aug 2017
Hi Fiftyzz

The cost of shipping your belongings will vary depending on the amount of containers and from where the cargo will ship. For example. one full 20ft container shipped from New York to Oslo will set you back about 800USD port-to-port. You can have a read through our page on shipping and removals for some more information.

Are you quite attached to your current belongings? Depending on your lifestyle, you could save a little by buying inexpensive furniture from places like IKEA, considering you will be in Norway for five years, which might seem long, but goes by fast.