Do I need to sit a test if I exchange my drivers licence in the Czech Republic?

EvanLyons's picture
By EvanLyons - Posted on
10 January 2018

I have been investigating drivers licence conditions in Czech Republic and have hit a wall...

I currently have a New Zealand drivers licence, this enables me to drive (with a IDL) for one year in Czech Republic. After a maximum of a year I will be required to exchange my New Zealand drivers licence for a Czech licence. As I plan to become a resident, I will exchange my New Zealand licence after 3 months or so. What is this exchange process? Some countries (UK) I would not have to sit any tests etc. as New Zealand has an equivalent program. Do I need to sit tests? I am concerned my reading and written Czech is not good enough to pass any theory

Thanks in advance

EmmaL's picture

Hi EvanLyons

Depending on whether Czech Republic recognises New Zealand licences, you might need to sit a test. Have a read of our guide to transport and driving in Czech Republic for a general overview.

It's possible to get a translator for the driving test according to this article, but your best bet is to find out from a driving school or licence centre in CR. Are you still in New Zealand, or have you moved to CR already?

Hope this helps,

Read more posts about Czech Republic