Hi We are considering moving to Miami and have a (nearly) 8 year old son. My first question is what year will he be in according to the US education system? The other question is if anyone knows good (private) schools for his age. He enjoys playing sports, so schools with good sports facilities have our preference.

Candice on 8 May 2013
Hi KB

According to the US education system your son should be in second grade the year he turns eight. Have a look at our page on Education and schools in the USA for more general information on schooling in the US.

For recommended private schools I suggest you use a website like greatschools.org or findthebest.com to help you make your decision. The schools are usually rated and reviewed by parents who have children at the particular school. You could also try various expat parents' forums for advice.

I hope this helps!

Candice
Anonymous (not verified) on 8 May 2013
Thanks that is really useful. I have been looking at Coconut Grove Montessori (Coconut Grove) and Riviera Schools (Coral Gables). I may need to check out the áreas as well.
EmmanuelleJ on 14 Mar 2019

The school system in Miami offers private, public, magnet and charter schools, it all depends on what you are looking for. Many public schools offer bilingual programs in Spanish and some in French, Italian or German. The better rated the public/charter/magnet school, the higher the rents will be in the surrounding neighborhood.

The American system is more demanding versus the European system, meaning children have homework, and a lot, as early as Kindergarden and are expected to read by age 6-7. Private schools tend to have better sport facilities and registration is open to the community through tryouts.

For more assistance, you may contact me at www.onceuponatownmia.com, we are an independent boutique relocation company helping people make Miami feel like their home. Welcome!

Howard90 on 25 Apr 2019

Great question. I recomend https://www.miami.miamioh.edu. Really good education institution. Miami University's reputation for offering outstanding academic and professional opportunities helps students succeed in the job market and in top graduate programs. Also they follow the students' scam and you will not be able to order your work somewhere that offers dissertation writing, cause they really wanna provide education at the high level.