GEMS American Academy in Abu Dhabi

tompitman's picture
By tompitman - Posted on
05 March 2012
Hello, what is the GEMS American Academy school in Abu Dhabi like - does anyone on this forum have children there? We'd be interested to hear what its like academically but also comment on extra curriular activities and what the general vibe is like. 
Anonymous

I had a girl at the GEMS American Academy and she loved it. It is a very well run school with a good academic record. Lots of after school clubs. Class sizes are small - around 15 per class and a good mix of nationalities which I think is a benefit. I know it is competitive to get in to the American Academy so you should register early. It is also one of the more expensive schools. Another option for Americans in Abu Dhabi is the American community school.

Anonymous

I agree with what Anonymous has written above. My child was very happy at the school and the teachers are generally great. However, there has been some issues lately that have parents worried. This has to do with the school hosting another school on its site next academic year.

Anonymous

Has anyone got an up-date on the above information re: GEMS hosint another school on its site? What is the name of this "other school"...I'd be grateful for more about why this would be of concern exactly...i.e. I am supposing less resources to go round?
Thanks :-)

Anonymous

GEMS has now withdrawn their application to the authorities so the school will not host another school next year!

Anonymous

GEMS is only concerned with image. Necessary services are subcontracted. GEMS profits from these services, but takes no responsibility for the poor service provided by these monopolies (uniforms, school lunches, after school activities). The community is good in spite of the corporation, not because of it. Don't be fooled by the beautiful building. We have loved the teachers but the good ones leave as quickly as possible. The poor quality, expensive, restrictive uniforms, change every year. The community is good. We have made many friends through the school, but the school does little to facilitate this, it is primarily the success of the parent organization.

Anonymous

Our family is seriously considering moving to Abu Dhabi from Dubai because GAA in Abu Dhabi is the only American school which has openings for all three of my children. We toured the facility and it looks amazing. My oldest son is going into 10th grade and hoping to be happy socially as well as academically. Does anyone have teenagers in Abi Dhabi wo can let us know how their experience has been?

Anonymous

can anyone tell more abt GAA in abu dhabhi about primary section...plz...

Anonymous

GEMS American Academy
Any one have any High Schoolers there? Specifically 11th graders.

Anonymous

I need info too for my 10th grade. We are moving from Dubai to Abu Dhabi. I can't get him into ACS- which was my 1st choice, but since they have no room (Truly their loss- he is a great kid with highest PSAT scores at ASD!) but…..I want him to be happy SOCIALLY- he's smart…is there any college entrance support?
I know 11th and 12th grades are new. I need info! come on parents!

Paula Barry's picture

I also need info on 11th grade! Come on parents- help us…give us some input!

Read more posts about Abu Dhabi