Health Insurance for dependent in Abu Dhabi or Dubai

H.G's picture
By H.G - Posted on
23 October 2017

Hello All,

I have been reading many articles on health insurance requirements for sponsoring parents in the UAE. My work Visa will be out of Dubai but I will be living in Abu Dhabi. I see there are different insurance and rates depending on if you are in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Do health insurance companies determine which insurance you are eligible for strictly on where your visa is from? This is for a US national if that makes a difference.

H.G.

EmmaL's picture

Hi H.G.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi have different legislation when it comes to health insurance for expats, which might explain the difference in rates and policies. Have a read of our guide on healthcare in Abu Dhabi and healthcare in Dubai for a general comparison. 

Health insurance companies also differ, and you'll have to decide on which company gives you the best cover for what you need. They'll probably take into account where your visa is based as well as where you will be living. Is health insurance covered in your employment package? Is it perhaps possible to add your parent to this policy?

Hope this helps,
H.G
H.G's picture

EmmaL,

Yes health insurance will be covered for my and my family. Having them cover my parent will be part of the negotiations :), but I dont think they will do it as international health insurance policy is probably very expensive. I have no issue purchasing it locally but the rules and regulations look a little complex.

I am trying to set up a trip in November to figure some of these things out.

H.G

EmmaL's picture

Hi H.G

If they can't add your parent to your family policy, you can perhaps talk to them and ask for advice on finding individual insurance. Maybe the HR representative has dealt with a situation like this before and can guide you in the right direction.

Will your mother be joining you after you arrive in the UAE with your family? Or are you all arriving together?

H.G
H.G's picture

Emma L,

There will be a local relocation company assigned to me once I accept the position so yes I will poke them for assistance also.

Details are not worked out but I would probably have to go there sometime in spring and my family would join once kids are finished with school in June. I am trying to finalize a trip next month to visit to try to get a general feel for the location.

Read more posts about United Arab Emirates