How do I legally move to Hong Kong??

Jess Wong's picture
By Jess Wong - Posted on
12 June 2012
Hi, I currently live in England and I am wanting to move to Hong Kong for a year or so at the beginning of next year but I am having trouble working out how to legally do it. I am half British, half chinese. I only have a British passport and British nationality. I have family living in Hong Kong. I graduate with a bachelors degree next month. I've seen couple of options available to me; Apply for Chinese nationality and then apply for a chinese passport (although I'm not sure what it would mean for me when I move back to Britain no longer having British nationality. Or apply for immigration arrangements for non-local graduates. Can anyone advise me which is my best option from the options above or any others you may know about. Many thanks, Jess
GabyS's picture

South Africa

Hi Jess

Firstly, I don't think getting a Chinese passport will mean you have to give up your British passport - you will have dual nationality and be able to enter other countries on either passport. Going that route might be time consuming but it will be worth it in the end, as you won't have to worry about visas again and could visit your family whenever you want. However, you would need to double check whether you qualify to apply for Chinese nationality. Were you born there?

The non-local graduates visa is for non-Chinese students who have already studied in Hong Kong (i.e. applied for a study visa, studied, and graduated). From what you've said I don't think you qualify for that one.

Do you intend to work or are you just visiting / on holiday?

Jess Wong's picture

Hi, thanks for replying.
I was born in England. I'm still looking into whether I can get dual nationality, as I do think this would be the better option but so far not having much luck finding out if I can or how.

I intend to work there as an english teacher for a year or so.

GabyS's picture

South Africa

Hi Jess

It seems I was wrong about the dual nationality thing - other countries (like Britain) will recognise your dual nationality but China won't. If you became a Chinese national the Chinese government would consider you to be Chinese only (i.e. you couldn't get protection from the British embassy). You can still get Chinese nationality if one or both of your parents are Chinese nationals, but as you've grown up in Britain I assume they've settled there? If so, no, you won't be able to get Chinese citizenship, at least not until you've lived in Hong Kong for a few years. So that takes care of that option.

If you're doin the usual gap-year, teaching English as a foreign language trip It sounds to me like you'll need to apply for a work visa to Hong Kong in the same way any other British person would. You'll need to start by finding a job so that your employer can sponsor you. Check out our Visas for Hong Kong page for more information.

You can also go over as a tourist to visit your family and look around for a job while you're there. You don't need a visa as a British passport holder, although you will need proof of return travel tickets, proof of sufficient funds and a passport valid for six months after the last date of travel. Then you can apply for your work permit when you have all your documentation from your employer - you might need to return to the UK to do so, although it's likely you can just get the permit in Hong Kong, and then change the date of your return flight.
Anonymous

Thanks very much for your time and help!
I was getting so confused with all the different options!
You've been a big help :)

GabyS's picture

South Africa

No problem! Good luck, I'm sure it'll be a great experience :)
Anonymous

I am an Indian and i want to visit china and also want citizenship in China because i like Chinese culture and atmosphere of China as well as India.And also i wanna purchase land in China so What can i do ? and what type of visa can apply for dual nationality.. Is it possible or not?

Read more posts about Hong Kong