on 7 Oct 2015
Hi there, my boyfriend and I want to move to Ireland next year, from South Africa, after we get married. My brother lives there so we want to join him. Could anyone give us advice on where to start. He does have a dutch passport but this wont help us with Ireland. Are we able to find jobs and move over, or is there a way to move and find jobs when we get there? Thanks!
Londonsangel on 14 Oct 2015
Thanks so much AlexL, does this then mean if we get married we can both go on his EU passport? Over to Ireland?
AlexL on 14 Oct 2015
Hi Londonsangel

I would advise that you look at this link for information about spousal rights.
To be on the safe side, I would also advise you to contact the South African embassy about your situation, as there might be a required amount of time that you have to be married to your spouse for in order to apply for an EU passport. 

Please let me know when you find out, in order to assist other expats who might have the same problem. 

Kind regards,
Alex
AlexL on 14 Oct 2015
Hi Londonsangel

Yes you are correct, as it mentions on the work permits page, with an EU passport you do not need to apply for a work permit.

Kind regards,
Alex
Shantalie on 12 Oct 2015
Hi Londonsangel,

You are are right, your brother's dutch passport won't help you get residency/work permits for Ireland, so you'll have to figure out another way.

Start by reading our Work Permits for Ireland page.

To get a work permit for Ireland you'll need to have a job offer for a position which pays EUR 30,000 per year or more. Then the employer will need to apply for your permit through the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation.

What field of work are you guys in?

Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Oct 2015
Thanks so much for the response. I'm in IT and my partner is in architecture. Thanks Angie
Anonymous (not verified) on 12 Oct 2015
We also saw this. Citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein do not need a work permit for Ireland Now my husband to be has a dutch passport, does this not mean we can use this as citizens of the eu?