How to get 1 year visa for Vietnam?

Trista's picture
By Trista - Posted on
26 January 2016

Dear guys, I am planning to move to Vietnam and have some questions about long-term visa.

Do I need a sponsor from Vietnamese company? Can I extend the visa after it expires. is it possible to get visa on arrival?

Thanks your for help in advance.

AlexL's picture

Hi Trista

Have a look at our Visas for Vietnam page for information about your query. Where are you from?

To stay long-term, you will likely need a residence visa.

Kind regards,
Alex 
Your rating: None Average: 3.5 (2 votes)
Trista's picture

Hi Alex! :) Thanks a lot for your reply. I am from America. Actually, I have searched some information on long-term visa but it's quite conflict that confuses me. So I am here to look for help from you guys. As what is said on http://www.vietnamvisa-easy.com/how-to-get-a-vietnam-visa/how-to-get-a-long-term-vietnam-visa, it's possible to get a long visa without sponsor at embassy AT THIS TIME and another page at http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/31980/vietnam-may-grant-oneyear-visa-to-us-tourists-official said that the government is ABOUT TO grant long-term visa for American tourists (does it mean no sponsor required?). And on visa page http://www.expatarrivals.com/vietnam/visas-for-vietnam, I understand that I can get a long visa only when I have a job and sponsor. So what's the correct information? The visa procedure is so complicated.

AlexL's picture

Hi Trista,

After doing a bit of research, it seems that you do need to be working at a company in order to apply for a Temporary Residence Card (TRC), which is valid for 1-3 years.

The TRC replaces the business visa, so as far as I understand you will need to apply for a TRC within the country. You will need to have a valid work permit (which you can only get through an employer) in order to apply for a TRC. 

I would urge you to speak to the Vietman embassy in the United States, +1 202 861 0737 just to confirm.

Kind regards,
Alex
Your rating: None Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
Trista's picture

Hi Alex. Thank you sooo much for your help. I greatly appreciate. :) If I understand correctly, I must have a work permit and convert business visa to temporary residential card within Vietnam. So lots of things to do. :) Thanks very much again! Have a nice day.

AlexL's picture

Hi Trista

Happy to help!
All the best with your move!

Kind regards,
Alex
visaforvietnam.vn's picture

HI All,
Vietnam visa on arrival for one year is possible to apply at www.visaforvietnam.vn .

It is cheap and trusted visa service.

Read more posts about Vietnam