Is 1500 EUR enough for a couple to live on in Madrid?

dimdoxia's picture
By dimdoxia - Posted on
23 October 2016

Hello, I have received a job offer from a firm based in Madrid and I would appreciate some help concerning the salary. They are offering me 1500 EUR net for a project coordinator position. I am not married, but I am living with my partner (have been for 8 years now), so of course he would be moving there with me. Since he doesn't speak the language, I would have to provide for both of us until he picks up some Spanish and manages to find a job - which could be a few months up to a year. I am very interested in the position, but I am making not much less than what they are offering as a freelancer, and, from what I have seen online, Madrid is an expensive city to live in, at least as far as rent is concerned. Could someone give me some insight? Is rent truly as insane as it is said (and seen) to be? Would we be able to live there (perhaps not comfortably, but at least properly) for a year on that amount of money?

maymay's picture

1500 EUR a month isn't bad, most english teachers live on 1000 EUR a month and under. For that amount of money, you will be able to find a two bedroom apartment for about 500 EUR a month or less in a decent area. Transport is about 58 EUR for zone 1. Eating out is cheap, around 10-20 EUR per person, but you can also live it up at 50+ EUR per person. Depending on your lifestyle, it is quite possible to live comfortably on your salary.

Read more posts about Spain