Is 1500 euros enough for a couple to live on in Madrid?

dimdoxia's picture
By dimdoxia - Posted on
23 October 2016

Hello, I have received a job offer from a firm based in Madrid and I would appreciate some help concerning the salary. They are offering me 1500 net for a project coordinator position. I am not married, but I am living with my partner (have been for 8 years now), so of course he would be moving there with me. Since he doesn't speak the language, I would have to provide for both of us until he picks up some Spanish and manages to find a job - which could be a few months up to a year. I am very interested in the position, but I am making not much less than what they are offering as a freelancer, and, from what I have seen online, Madrid is an expensive city to live in, at least as far as rents are concerned. Could someone give me some insight? Are rents truly as insane as they are said (and seem) to be? Would we be able to live there (perhaps not comfortably, but at least properly) for a year on that amount of money?

maymay's picture

1500euro a month isnt bad, most english teachers live on 1000e a month and under. For that amount of money you will can find a 2bedroom for about 500e a month in an ok area, even less. Transport is 58e for zone 1. Yes you can live comfortable on that, eating out is cheap, maybe 10-20e per person, but you can also live it up at 50e+ per person. Depends on your lifestyle.

Read more posts about Spain