Is 20000AED salary for a family of 3 in Dubai enough?

James75's picture
By James75 - Posted on
30 December 2016

Hi folks, my husband has been offered an operations manager job with a high end luxury retailer in Dubai. The salary being offered is 20000AED per month inclusive of housing, schooling. The company also do not offer any assistance towards relocation only an additional 200 GBP towards additional baggage when coming to Dubai, no healthcare for dependents or flights home. After carrying out extensive research I'm struggling to make ends meet when factoring in the costs of living in Dubai in particular schooling for our 11 year old son and accommodation. After doing the calculations a salary of at least 30k per month would be something we could live on. Does this sound reasonable or am missing things out?

Chicco's picture

Your on the right track. Dubai's biggest issue for expat families is accommodation / healthcare / schooling / visa expenses for family. Unless employer covers these your 20k wont be sufficient. I was on 20K when my son was born i had no choice to shift back to Europe.
I was paying 1200euro a year healthcare for my son (does not include vaccination) extra 100 euro every time. Does not apply to you i guess. Some vaccinations are covered by local hospitals but most not. Schooling will kill your salary. Average school for European expat is around 45KAED. Visa expenses is another issue, my son cost us 5000AED for 2 years, my mother in law cost us 9000AED for 1 year. Accommodation is around 85K a year for a 2 bedroom plus utilities another 10K. Apt are big. Hope that helps. Your 30K calculation makes sense. Otherwise a great city to live in. Very safe for kids. Try to squeeze more out of the employer. Hope you manage. Good luck.

Your rating: None Average: 4.7 (3 votes)
Anonymous

I am seriously thinking of moving to Dubai. I would like to know, the best area to live where I will be safe, and how to find work and accommodation before I go? I can work in security, or wedding and event planning.
Many thanks

Catherine's picture
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago

South Africa

South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Anonymous, the best place to start the search for work in Dubai is online, and there are plenty of job portals catering specifically for the ?UAE, so a quick search online should yield some positive results. In terms of accommodation and good areas in the city, I suggest you have a look at our Areas and Suburbs in Dubai page for a great overview of the different expat-friendly neighbourhoods in the city.
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 5 days 18 hours ago

South Africa

South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi James75, that salary certainly may seem a bit low to live with a family in Dubai, but it all depends on your own lifestyle and the fact that this includes accommodation and schooling is a big plus. As a start, I suggest you have a look at our Cost of Living in Dubai page, which should give you a good idea of the cost involved in living in the city, and then you can have a clearer idea of the salary that you should be expecting. 

The fact that the company is not offering health care for dependents is something you should really think carefully about when making your decision. Without full health insurance, the costs of healthcare can be extremely high. Flights home would be a great plus,  but these days this perk is a lot less common for expats moving to Dubai.

All the best with your decision! I hope it all works out for you and your family.

Read more posts about Dubai