Is it difficult to find work in Valencia with a limited knowledge of Spanish?

EJWood's picture
By EJWood - Posted on
12 November 2016

My husband and I are planning a move to Valencia. We know the city well, I have a good grasp of Spanish while my husband is learning. I will be looking for work in my field, Credit / Accounts Receivable, but we are wondering what the best path would be for my husband while he is still learning.
He is super practical and would ideally work outdoors.

I'd welcome any suggestions from those with experience.
Thanks in advance,

Daniela de Castro's picture
Last seen: 28 min 53 sec ago

Hi Emma

As Valencia is a large city, you will find that it has more job opportunities for expats than the rural areas of Spain. Your husband's low level of Spanish will definitely affect his employment prospects. It might be best for him to look for employment from other expats in the area, where his English skills could come in handy.

You should try to start looking for work as soon as possible, online job portals and local recruitment agencies will probably be your best bet for finding work before arriving in Valencia. The Expat Arrivals guide to working in Spain might have some useful information for your job search and the different permits and visas you will have to apply for. 

Where are you planning to move to Spain from? Are you planning to find work before or after arriving in Spain?

- Daniela

Read more posts about Spain