Posted by tompitman
We have been interviewing expats in Mumbai over the last couple of years and thought it would be useful to combine some of their comments on making friends and meeting people in Mumbai. 

Bombay Jules: I found it easy to meet people and make friends through volunteering and just getting out there.  Organisations such as Internations, Mumbai Connexions, The Cigar Club and the American Women’s Club also makes it possible to make new friends very quickly.  They organise a lot of social events and clubs and are very friendly.  I have also met quite a few people through my blog and the blogging network is also very friendly.  And it is always easy to set up your own clubs through Facebook – I set up an amateur photography group with a few other like-minded ladies for example.

Mathilde - a French Expat: It’s definitely easy to meet people and make friends in Mumbai. Expats are very welcoming and Indians are open minded and chilled. You cannot feel alone in this city. 

Rakhee - from Australia: I have found social networking sites to be the easiest way to meet people.  I have met many people through Twitter and various Facebook groups. 

Lindsey, a British expat: The kids found it very easy to make friends at school. We met other parents and then I joined Mumbai Connexions, an expat group of about 300 members from all over the world.

Read more interviews with expats living in India.

Please add your own comments and experiences!
WhiteTiger on 13 Jan 2014
Hi! Mumbaikers are generally fun loving and outdoors people, at least most of the people I know and and have had the pleasure to meet, they are very forward going and direct when speaking so sometimes this can be confused as "rude" but once you get to know them, they are great, very open and friendly people, been such an international city, Mumbaikers find themselves at ease with like minded modern foreigners not just cause many of them speak good English but also due to the mentality... Been a NRI who moved back recently I found it easy to fit in socially... the only off putting flaw I have seen is that sometimes people can be quite materalistic.. a bit over the top sometimes, other than than I hope you meet some nice people like I have.
Zabziedaud on 9 Jan 2014
Hi I'm moving it Mumbai with my 3 kids ... From USA.. Looking at schools in new Mumbai any ideas on how to meet people would be great...
sky069 on 29 Oct 2014
Hi All, Your Most Welcome to come Mumbai. Mumbai is a big city. If any buddy coming here, Then this days I'm also in Mumbai so hope I can help to find your things around here, if I've spare time. I am honestly like to help to Ppl visit from overseas no any charge. I like to exchange languages and know about other cultures and religion's. My Mobile : Nine7020549two1 My Skype: sky06996 Pls chat me to know more ....
mumbaixpat on 5 Jan 2015
what are the main nationalities of expatriates in Mumbai?
Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Jan 2015
Mumbai is such a big city that there are unlimited avenues to make friends. Warning though: not everyone is your friend and you need to be careful in selecting. Id join trusted groups like expat associations of XYZ country and they in turn will make some intros to other trusted ones for you and you will see your social network expand.
mahsa soni on 24 Jun 2016
Hi.. Iv found it lil bit hard to make friends in mumbai. though ppl are nice and humble ..but sometimes i dont find them much open