Is it safe for a young Western female to move to Tripoli - 2013?

British Geologist's picture
By British Geologist - Posted on
05 April 2013
Hello, I have been offered a job in Tripoli working as an engineer. The job is due to start this summer 2013 and i am still in the decision process of whether to accept. I am a young Britsh female and am highly concerned about the security situation as regarding my safety whilst i'm over there. How at risk am I? What should my main concerns be and what are the best actions for me to take in order to minimise these risks?
Anonymous

I am a young Scottish female who has just been offered a post teaching English in Tripoli. I would also like to know whether I am being imprudent in accepting it. Can anyone help give any advice?

Last seen: 1 week 2 days ago

Hi Ladies,

While the situation in Libya has improved since the fall of Gaddafi, the country is by no means safe.

Crime is a serious concern in Libya. Serious armed crime is common - everything from car jackings to armed robbery take place in Libya. Petty crime such as pickpockting is also common because of high unemployment and poverty. Expats will usually live in high-security complexes which are the safest living option.

The political situation in Libya is unstable so protests are civil unrest are to be expected. Expats should avoid being anywhere close to major protests or demonstrations.

There are a growing number of expats being lured over to work in Tripoli with attractive employment packages. However the fact is that safety is a constant worry and something you'll seriously have to weigh up when making your decision.

I would recommend checking out the Expat Arrivals page on Safety in Libya for more detailed information.

Good luck

Your rating: None Average: 4.5 (2 votes)
Anonymous

Thanks for your response Shantalie!

British Geologist's picture

Yes, thank you. Definitely something to think on. Your comments were very helpful.

Abdulmuhaimen Kahil's picture

hi
hello for everybody i'm abdul muhaimen i living in tripoli am happy to help you yes it's safe to work in tripoli

Abdulmuhaimen Kahil's picture

Abdulmuhaimen Kahil's picture

If anyone wants to help Tripoli Libya Any such assistance do not hesitate to contact me and I will help as much as possible from the reception at the airport until the access to housing and to identify the city 00218926238714
00218913739662
abdo.kahil

Abdulmuhaimen Kahil's picture

good luck shantalie
from abdulmuhaimen

Anonymous

not safe for females on their own never travel at night and if posible with a male during the day

Anonymous

I am a Libyan who works as a security advisor for an international organization in Libya.
Believe me I am not trying to find an excuse of what happening in Libya these days, but it’s hard to blame the Libyan people since they have been ruled by a dictatorship for 42 years, during these 4 decades Libya were ruled without a formal Police force or army, there were only mercenaries protecting the mad dog & his 7 sons!!
Libyan were ignorant and were treated like sheep, and used as experimental rats (excuse my French),
But that’s the truth, the day when the Libyan people had enough, and they shouted loudly enough is enough, the mad dog was asking who the hell you are RATS!! (Check his last speech after 17th Feb 2011).
So Libyan used to have for 42 years No job, no salary, no education, no future, and no infrastructure.
I can write a book about these 42 years, trust me!
I am not trying to scare you or anything like that, but my number one advice to you when arriving to Libya Is to keep a very low profile, wear a decent cloth (no sleeveless or miniskirts, no fancy sunglasses)!
Try to keep your dress code as a local Libyan woman as possible, avoid all protests, crowds and demonstrations throughout the country as they may become violent without warning.
Minimize your movement especial at night and during weekend days, our statistics shows that most of the incidents are taking place during night and weekend days.
Finally I wish you a good and safe journey to Libya!

Your rating: None Average: 3.7 (3 votes)
Anonymous

As a director a large bilaterial organization located in Libya it is important that foreign workers are aware of the security concerns relating to Libya.

This country will in time stabilize but at present Oct. 2013 I would only recommend travel to Libya or work for those who have had experience in post conflict zones. This is not the environment to learn or seek adventure.

The country has vast potential and this is clear but without a clear security plan, police force, ambulance service or military the country is not ready for an inflow of tourists, foreign workers or adventure traveler.

I hope this report can have more positive tones in the months to come.

Anonymous

I totally agree. foreigners shouldn't come to Libya at this time. give the country a chance to get over 42 years of dictatorship,a bloody war, and petty secrtarian clashes, along with armed criminal gangs...do you still wanna come?

Read more posts about Libya