Is there anyone on this forum looking to emigrate to Canada but not Toronto or Vancouver?

Claire Bolgil's picture
By Claire Bolgil - Posted on
03 July 2011
I'm a British expat living in Kamloops, BC, Canada. I'm thinking about setting up a website specifically for people who want to emigrate to Kamloops and the Southern Interior of BC. Really just want to find out whether there's a good market for this website if I decide to go ahead, or if people are only just considering Toronto and Vancouver who are using this forum? If you're considering a move to Canada please respond and let me know what locations you're considering. Thank you. Claire
Anonymous

Hey Claire,

I am keen on moving to Canada. Actually, right know i am in Kelowna but i have to leave soon. The reason is i don't have any more visa to stay in. I am considering to emigrate.. So, what is your offer to me ?

If you write me back, it would be great. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Zizi.

Anonymous

Hi Zizi,
I'm afraid I do not have an 'offer' for you or a magic wand to wave unfortunately. My post was an issue in marketing to see whether there is a market for a new website on emigrating to BC. As I have had no other responses to my post I guess there isn't a market for this, so I have decided that I won't go ahead with developing the website.
I am by all means happy to give you any advice that I may be able to on emigrating. So if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've had the personal experience of emigrating here myself, so may be able to give you some advice. Just let me know.
Thanks,
Claire

Anonymous

No please do the webside, Im mexican and I gona move to BC in september We dont know if kamloops or Kelowna, if you can give some pros and cons about bouth citys and what you think is better to live, please tell me, about cost of rent, trasportacion, food, weather, if is save and secure, wich one has more important things like hospitals, medical services, if any of those citys are bears, etc. and wich one is more beautifull. my mail is pestrellita@gmail.com

Claire Bolgil's picture

Hi and thanks for your response.
It doesn't look as though I will be going ahead with my website, but I am very happy to answer your questions, and any others you may have.

There are pros and cons to both Kamloops and Kelowna, and they are both very beautiful places, so whichever you end up choosing you'll have some great scenery around you.
Generally speaking real estate in Kelowna is more expensive than Kamloops - certainly for buying real estate anyway. You mentioned renting, and though I can't speak from experience I would assume Kelowna costs more. Check on kijiji.ca at the real estate pages to get an idea of this though.
The weather is really very comparable between the two cities, with Kamloops winning out in terms of average hours of sunshine and slightly higher temperatures. Kamloops is actually one of the hottest and sunniest places in Canada.
Kelowna is a larger city but it's busier too. Getting from one end of the city to the other can be a nightmare, especially when you add in summer tourism as well. Kamloops on the other hand rarely has any traffic jams. Being bigger though, Kelowna does offer more in terms of services - there are more stores and entertainment here and probably more restaurants, but Kamloops has everything that most people need - cinemas, theatres, pubs, restaurants, recreation, mall and more. I know that Kamloops' public transit system is very good and affordable but can't speak for kelowna as I have no experience of it.
Both cities are comparable in terms of crime. There are rougher areas of both cities, but generally Kamloops has a very safe feeling. In some of the suburbs, people often leave their homes without locking their doors!
Kamloops has a good hospital plus plenty of walk-in clinics, though I know it can be difficult to find a family doctor. The walk in clinics are an alternative to this though. I know this is a problem across most of BC.
As for bears and other wildlife... this is Canada! Both cities will have bears, coyotes and even cougars and other widlife on the outskirts of the city. We live 10 minutes drive from downtown Kamloops in a suburb, and had a bear in our yard trying to eat from our fruit trees! You get wildlife everywhere, but if you're sensible it shouldn't cause a problem.
I hope this has helped. I am happy to answer any more questions you may have. Personally, I prefer Kamloops to Kelowna but I appreciate that there are others who will prefer Kelowna for their own reasons.
Best wishes,
Claire

Anonymous

We are US citizens who want to emigrate due to the poor health care system in USA. My husband had a stroke and needs continuing rehab which he cannot get here cuz the health insurance exhausted the benefits. I am an IT professional with an MBA ..how can we immigrate we dont a visa

Claire Bolgil's picture

You should have a good look at the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp at all the different classes of immigration to Canada. To do it all legally can take years, and if you came here as a tourist or temporary resident you would not get health benefits so this wouldn't help you.
Even when you get the official residents' visa you canot start using the healthcare system for 3 months until after you arrive so you would need to buy private health insurance for that period.
Healthcare is only free in two provinces I believe: Alberta and Ontario, and in the other provinces you pay a monthly fee for it. Even then, not everything is covered, so I think you need to look into this a lot more before you even consider a move.
Hope this has helped, and good luck.
Claire

Anonymous

I am interested into moving to Canada as well. I would prefer somewhere near Toronto.. but I'm a country girl! I much prefer a rural setting where I can have chickens and a large garden while still being able to have a job. My family does have "independent", guarenteed income of about 3000 a month without me even working. I do have a college degree. Or is there a way to live there and just cross the border 2 times a year to extend a visitors visa?

Keith Kitelinger's picture

What is the quickest and easiest way to immigrate to Canada from the US? My family and I are tired of the health care, violence, etc the US has to offer. Thanks for any help.

Anonymous

Hello
Our application to move from England to Kamloops is being processed. Could you please tell me if there is an expat presence in Kamloops or any form of support network for new people? Many thanks

Anonymous

Hi 'Anonymous'!
I would love to talk to you about moving to Kamloops. Maybe you could email me directly rather than discussing over the forum. Go to clairebolgil.com and look at the contact page to get my email address.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Claire

Anonymous

cool

Anonymous

cool

Read more posts about Canada