Living Costs in Jeddah

Darren Potter's picture
By Darren Potter - Posted on
Hi I have been offered a 6mth contract in Jeddah with a $2000 monthly accomodation allowance but getting concerned the accommodation allowance won't be adequate, although it is only myself.. I have read many posts regarding rent and also cost for house keeper, food, utilities etc and can anyone give me an idea how much the cost of living would be for one month for a single person living sensibly ? would a hotel be a cheaper option ? also what are the restrictions I will face as a single male ? Really appreciate any assistance as this could be a really good opportunity, but only if it make financial sense ?
DavidWright's picture

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

the United Kingdom

David's Website
Hi Darren

If you are looking for a 1/2 bedroom apartment on a European style compound you will be able to obtain it within your budget - the problem may be getting a short term lease as demand is very high - but there is the chance it will work in your favour !

Living expenses for a single person are reasonable - nothing to spend your money on !  Unless you are serious shopper.

Utilities are not expensive - $30-50 a month, house keepers are part time and come at around $100-300 month depending on amount of time.

Food can be cheap or more costly depending on how much imported stuff you want and from where - but for a single person it will not add up to much

Social life tends to based around doing low cost things, bbq, camping, beach etc.  You can learn to diver and stuff whch is a little more expensive.

If you are being provided with a car the petrol costs next to nothing.

Hotels are an option - especially if you are travelling alot but it is a rubbish experience because you are exposed to much more restrictions bein in a public place

If you are on a compound ther are no specific restrictions being single and male bu in public you will have to use the men only sections of eating places, cafes, Starbucks etc.  But in general it is not a obvious as it use to be.

This is a quick overview - let me know if you need anythin more specific 

DAvid
Darren Potter's picture

Wow David thanks for the reply, very helpful and after some research my preference would be a compound and hopefully as it is a shorter term lease it may well work in my favour.
I have another meeting with the company and i feel more informed and able to ask questions now...
It terms of employment beyond the 6 mths contract what is the job market at the moment (IT Management) ? also is it easy to jump into another role or fraught with red tape ?

Catherine's picture

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hey Darren, for some further general info on Jeddah, check out our Moving to Jeddah page, and for some more on accommodation in the city, also have a look at the Accommodation in Jeddah page.

Good luck with your assignment in Saudi!
DavidWright's picture

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

the United Kingdom

David's Website
The job market is very good here and it is easy to transfer between companies as long as your employer has no objection, people also change roles 

David
Anonymous

Hi David
Can you tell me how much would be the average saving if a job offer is SAR 17000. I am a middle class person with 2 dependents.

Anonymous

Hi David, can i get a 1 bhk fully furnished apartment in a european style compound with 3500SAR / month?
Sachin

Gary Daveson's picture

Dear David and Catherine,

I have just arrived in Jeddah, and I am looking to rent a room with another expat (hopefully) in a compound whilst I look around for something suitable for the family when they come over in August (subject to school places being available). Is there any network, site where I can find this and other relevant information on social activies etc?

Thanks, Gary

DavidWright's picture

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

the United Kingdom

David's Website
Hi

I am not aware of formal network for this type of information, I am sure there are a number of web based forums that cater to it, but unfortunately not my area of knowledge.

Temporary accommodation is hard to find on compounds, they tend to be looking for long term lease.  However I know Arabian homes have some apartments they rent out on a  daily basis - sort of like a hotel but on a compound, I assume they would look at this as a possible longer let.  My assumption is that other compounds might do similar.  This would be the option I would choose as it links you into the social activity on compound life straight away and you will find plenty of people to talk to about schools, activities and the rest.

If this option is not immediately available then some of the hotels have 'apartments' to let on a medium term basis - Radisson have some large 1-2-3-4-5-6 bedroom apartments in the facility on Madina road.  Again I am sure other hotels chains have similar

Let me know if you need any contact numbers and I can forward them

Hope this is useful

Best regards 

David

Read more posts about Saudi Arabia