Oman employment offer and visa processing time?

attamuhammad's picture
By attamuhammad - Posted on
25 December 2016

My interview was taken in the month of September 2016, passport and un-attested photocopy of degree certificate was required by an Omani Government company during November 2016 and attested copy of Certificate was required in this month i.e., December 2016. I have neither received any offer letter from the company nor any email.
The interview was also taken over telephone. The interview was conducted by a head of department and another short interview was taken by HR. Only one person (who conducted interview) is in touch with me. Whenever I approach him through whatsapp, he takes time to ask HR and then after 10 to 15 days replies something.
Should I consider this job as serious or it's just that they are wasting my time just for nothing? Further, how long it will take to get an offer and then the employment visa. You are requested to please guide.

Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago

This sounds very suspicious to me and unfortunately scams like these are common in many countries. The fact that you've only spoken to one or two people and can only reach one person very occasionally isn't a good sign, and neither is the fact that you haven't gotten an official offer letter. Can you find any trace of the company online? Most legitimate businesses will have a website or at least some kind of presence online.

An employment visa usually only takes a couple of working days in Oman, unless there's something wrong with the hiring company's documentation, and even then it seems odd and unlikely that it would take such a long time to meet the requirements and resubmit the application.

Do you know whether they've hired other foreigners from outside of Oman before? If they have, then they should be familiar with the process and there would be no reason for the visa application process to take so long.

Maybe you could try asking to speak to someone more senior in the company who will be more responsive to your questions. It's also a good idea to ask the person you're in contact with for the official offer of employment in writing, and ask for the reasons for the delayed work permit situation, if you haven't done so already.

Best of luck.

Anonymous

Hi Megan
I got a job offer from Oman,and my contract is finish this month,i would like to ask if my current employee give me exit clearance since my contract is finish,then i move straight from Saudi to Oman,is there any possible problem i encounter in Oman imigration,and second thing my new employer they should send me working visa or visit visa,please advice me because this is the first time crossing the country instead going back to philipines

Anonymous

Dear Maegan,

Thanks for your response. The company is legitimate and a friend of mine is working in the company.

I have obtained an email ID of a person in HR of the company. I contacted the HR through email asking the same questions as suggested by you.

HR replied that an application has been submitted with Ministry of Manpower and waiting for approval from the ministry. He further told that as soon as approval from ministry of manpower will be obained, only then we will issue job offer letter. On acceptance by me, they would proceed for further recruitment procedure.

What do you suggest now??

Should I wait for their further reply??

Anonymous

Hello
I am also facing the same problem, and they are telling me that they are waiting for the approval of the ministry. How did it go with you and what should I do?

Anonymous

Dear All, kindly dont loose hope at all,as really some time it take 4 to 5 weeks to get approval, so i advice you to wait

Read more posts about Oman