Partner visa for South Africa?

runcorn86's picture
By runcorn86 - Posted on

My SA girlfriend and myself are planning to move to Cape Town. We are due to fly out end September. Should we delay and apply for partner visa in UK or would it be possible to apply whilst in SA as a tourist/visitor

Hi Runcorn,

You must apply in your home country. Since 2014 the law changed and people can no longer apply for longer term visas in South Africa.

How long have you guys been together? Have you made sure you meet all the requirements for a life partner permit? Do you also plan on working in South Africa.

Read the visas for South Africa page for more information.

Anonymous

Thanks. Plus one other point. My gf is still awaiting divorce decree but we have been together seven years. Will the fact we where together whilst still married to other people affect the time we can say we where together.

I honestly couldn't say. I would suggest speaking to an immigration consultant about that technicality - they may have dealt with similar cases. I do recall seeing a divorce certificate (if applicable) on the list of required documentation, so I think you'll need to wait for that to come through.

Most immigration consultants will tell if you are eligable to apply for a permit at no cost.

Xpatweb's picture

Hi Runcorn,

Have you been assisted with your visa application yet?

Anonymous

All sorted. Fly out November. Roll on summer Christmas

Xpatweb's picture

That is great! Hope you will have a good one! All the best!

Buddhababy's picture

My boyfriend aka also my legally exhusband lives in cape town we have 2 children together and we are trying to figure out the best way of starting the process of moving myself and kids. Any advice?

Read more posts about South Africa