Posted by mikemc

Hello All,

My name is Mike, and myself and my partner are looking to move to Zurich to live and work. We are both UK passport holders over the age of 30, working in IT and Property.

We are looking to come to Zurich and initially stay in an Air BnB for a few months whilst we get settled and look for a job, however I understand that you have to register for a residency permit within 14 days of arrival, and as a requirement have a rental contract?

Does anyone know how we can get around this seeing as we will only be staying in temporary accommodation initially, or how people made the move to Switzerland without already having rented accomodation or even a job?

Many thanks!

Mike

Meagan on 2 Nov 2016
Hey Mike,

As I understand it, you can give them that address along with some kind of documentation as proof that you're staying there, even if it's temporary (as long as you update your address once you've found something more permanent).

To be on the safe side, you should get in touch with your local Swiss embassy/consulate to confirm this.

Although there'll still be a lot of red tape to get through to obtain a residence permit, the fact that you have an EEA country passport will make the process a little easier.

Cheers