Safety, standard of living and tax in South Africa?

abrdedu11's picture
By abrdedu11 - Posted on
27 December 2016

Indian IT Engineer working in Dubai ,planning to move to South Africa, But worried about safety

Can some one help me understand whether it will be a good move to relocate to South Africa from Dubai .

1. I have concerns mainly about safety there

2. Is South Africa developed and has good standard of living

3. How about the tax,how much tax we require to pay

Thanks in advance for your response

Arun

Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago

Hi Arun,

Which part of South Africa were you planning on living in?

In big cities like Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban, for example, you'd have a very different experience than you would in very small towns like Sasolburg or Clarens. That's not to mention all of the other very many towns and cities that aren't small farm villages or metropolises but somewhere in between.

Generally, the cities have more amenities available and are much more developed than some of the smaller towns, but again, this varies (some small towns are better equipped than others). For me personally I'd consider the quality of life higher in the cities – but what constitutes a good quality of life can be different to different people, so it's hard to say if you'd share my perspective. 

The cities tend to have more crime but also better security. South Africa doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to crime, but in all honesty I've found that as long as you aren't careless and take appropriate precautions you should be fine. We have an article about this issue which might help you get a better idea of what I mean: Safety in South Africa.

For a comprehensive overview of taxes in South Africa, please click here.

Anonymous

Hi Meagen

Thanksfor your reply , I might get relocation as part of my work to Johannseburg from dubai

How about the climate in Johannseburg and public transportation and social activities, is Johannseburg a lively city

How about scope for women to work in Johannseburg..?

Thanks
Arun

Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago

Hi Arun,

Johannesburg is definitely a lively city with a lot to see and do. There are lots of interesting events and plenty of excellent restaurants to try out. There are some great shopping centres too, like Sandton City and Melrose Arch.

Unfortunately, throughout most of South Africa, public transport isn't well developed and I would definitely recommend owning a car. Johannesburg is, however, home to the Gautrain: a high-speed train network which goes from Johannesburg to Pretoria with a number of stops in between. There is also a network of Gautrain buses that connects to the nearest Gautrain station but the bus network isn't all that extensive either.

The weather can get quite warm in summer - although compared to UAE weather I'm sure South African summer will feel very mild! - with occasional evening thunderstorms. Winter is cool and mostly dry.

Women are relatively equal in business, although executive positions still tend to be occupied by men rather than women.

When would you be moving? Will your company be organising a visa and work permit?

Anonymous

Thanks for fast response Meagen ..

If i say i am willing to relocate to SA, Company will facilitate everything .visa work permit and other needed facilities

Are you native south African , or you moved to capetown from some other country

Last seen: 1 week 9 hours ago

Yup, I'm a local! Born in Cape Town, but I studied in Pretoria (1 hour's drive from Johannesburg) for four years and lived in Johannesburg itself for another two or three years before moving back to Cape Town.

Read more posts about South Africa