Salary and questions on moving to Abu Dhabi...

CMMUAE1075's picture
By CMMUAE1075 - Posted on
24 July 2012
Dear Expat Experts, please guide me on the following:

I'm an Indian national and have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi on a monthly salary of AED 4500.

I will live singly and frugaly. I plan to cook my own food. I will be getting a free bechelors fully furnished accommodation. Is it sensible and practical to use public transport in Abu Dhabi? With this kind of lifstyle can I save some money? 

In case after joining the job I feel that I am not able to cope with the Gulf life and want to return to India, will the employer/UAE detain me against my wishes. In such case, how do I exercise the exit rights?

When the employer says he will give me furnished accommodation, does the word furnished include refrigeration, oven, cooking stove, washing machine, air conditioner, etc. Is running water supplied by government potable?

What are the expenses for the small treatments like fever, vomiting, headache which does not require any hospitalisation?
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
HI CMMUAE1975, on the surface the salary you have stated doesn't seem like a very lucrative one, but the fact that your company will be providing accommodation and that you are a single bachelor does make a difference. Your ability to save all depends on what your own lifestyle is like and what you are used, adn what you consider important or essential monthly expenses.

Accommodation would be your biggest expense in the UAE, so with your company providing this for you, at least you don't need to worry about this. With regards to the specifics of what will be provided in your flat adn what constitutes furnished, I suggest chatting to your contact person at your company to enquire about this.

Public transport is far from comprehensive in Abu Dhabi so you may have to consider buying a car, but this all depends on where you will be living and working in the emirate. Have a look at our Accommodation in Abu Dhabi page for a better idea of the kinds of accommodation available in the emirate. I imagine utilities would be for your own expense, so this is something that you may need to factor into your monthly budget.

With regards to medical expenses - ensure that your company provides you with a comprehensive health cover package, as they are required by law to do so.

I recommend you have a look at our Cost of Living in Abu Dhabi page for a breakdown of what you can expect to pay for your basics in the emirate. If you're not happy with your contract and you're still in the position to negotiate the terms, you can read our Expat Contract Negotiation page, which will give you some great tips about what to consider in trying to get the best deal you possibly can.
UKMover's picture

Dear CMMUAE1075

What sector are you in? This offer sounds really very bad! You also have to consider apart from your living costs in AD, you will travel home to India at least once a year. There is no way you can even afford the flight. Dont take such a derisory offer.

Anonymous

what will be the salary of an ERP consultant having 5 years of experience in Abu Dhabi ?
Mani

Catherine's picture
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago

Cape Town

Johannesburg, South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Anonymous, I suggest having a look at our article A Comparison of Expat Salaries in the Middle East which will give you a general idea of what you could earn in different sectors in a number of countries in the region, including in the UAE
Anonymous

Good day! May I ask how much is the salary of a spa receptionist in Abu Dhabi? Thanks!

Read more posts about Abu Dhabi