Seeking a contact or guide to Switzerland

Ski2BlackDad's picture
By Ski2BlackDad - Posted on
28 October 2017

Hi -

I am planning on moving to Switzerland either summer '18 or '19 with my wife and 7/8 year old son. Is there anyone who can provide guidance on where we should look to live? My wife is Romanian, so I believe we can move fairly easily and we don't won't need to work to live (just to eat).

I teach skiing in the US currently, and have an online business I can continue while in Switzerland. My goal is to find excellent skiing for all of us and education for my son, in a German speaking area. Interlocken sounds great, so does Zermatt but Zermatt also sounds more difficult for expats.

We have family in Turin, and hope to be less than 5 hours from there. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

EmmaL's picture

Hi Ski2BlackDad

Have a read of our guide to moving to Switzerland for a general overview. German is spoken widely in the central and east of Switzerland, so you have a wide variety to choose from. The south of Switzerland closer to Italy is also quite German.

You can find excellent skiing all around Switzerland, so don't feel like you need to limit yourself there. You'll probably want to live closer to a good school and you can narrow your search by looking at our guide to schools in Switzerland. Most good schools have waiting lists, so start looking at options as soon as possible. Are you considering international schools? Is this a permanent move?

Hope this helps,
Ski2BlackDad's picture

Hi Emma -

My wife and I want to move there, but probably just for a couple years, though if we really enjoy the lifestyle we might stay longer.

As for schools - we want to find a school that can give our son a well rounded education, with IB or advanced curriculum options prefered. Generally I prefer local schools, but would consider a private school if we can find something affordable.

Also - It's important to me that my son become fluent in a language, I know some German so we've narrowed it down to a location where German is the official or predominant language.

Finally, in addition to skiing my wife loves to garden and grow vegetables.

I've read both guides and unfortunately without knowing where else to look I can't really narrow it down more.

We are taking a ski trip to Interlaken in March, and I hope to get a good sense of that area in addition to the great skiing.

Thanks - Chad

EmmaL's picture

Hi Chad

Interlaken is a great area and quite central - but so is the rest of Switzerland! Have you spent some time in Switzerland before?

Even if you're only planning to stay a couple of years, public schools might be a good option for you, considering you already speak some German. Private schools in Switzerland are expensive, and the public school system, in general, is very good. However, for a better transition, many private and international schools do offer German and other languages as subjects. The International School Parent Magazine has a list of schools organised into Cantons.

Finding accommodation in Switzerland can be a problem, but I'm sure that after a thorough search you'll find a place with some space for gardening, especially outside of major areas.

Good luck!

Anonymous

Thank you Emma!

Read more posts about Switzerland