Should I register for residency before or after buying property in Spain?

Geminidiz's picture
By Geminidiz - Posted on

I am looking to take early retirement in Spain at the end of this year. I will spend some time travelling around the south and east and will then buy a property, living on the balance of the sale of my current property and a small retirement pension until my state pension becomes payable in 2020. Can I apply for residency before I buy my property and if not what happens if I buy and then am denied residency? Thanks Denise

Hi, Denise
Well, I would not know for sure what the best solution is. There are various ways of getting your residence, but you can start by doing the NIE. I think the best option would be for you to hire a lawyer to solve this issue, get in touch with them and resolve some of your doubts. 

Read more posts about Spain