I was wondering whether there are any expats living in Croatia that could advise me. I went to Croatia for 3 weeks over the summer and totally fell in love with the country. 

I felt it was the perfect place to set up my own business. I am keen to set up a small guesthouse for travellers and I've got 10 years experience in the hospitality trade.

Has anyone else set up a business in Croatia. What permits do I need ? Is it straightforward to get the documentation ?

Thanks. 
Shantalie on 12 Nov 2012
Hi Anya,

Croatia has a booming tourist industry and it is a great place to invest in the hospitality industry. Property princes are also favourable

While the Croatian government encourage foreign investors to come and invest in their country, it is best that you prepare yourself to deal with lots of bureaucracy. Obtaining a business visa Croatia is not always a straightforward process and requirements are changing constantly.

Unless you have good language skills, it might be best to enlist the help of an immigration practioner. 

Our Moving to Croatia page provides a good overview of the pros and cons of expat life in the country. 

Good luck with your exciting new venture.