Type of visa for partner/spouse of British citizen working in Brussels

Jaffrey's picture
By Jaffrey - Posted on
03 November 2011
My partner is offered a job in Brussels. He is English and therefore doesn't need to have a work permit or visa to live in Brussels. However, I am from Singapore. What kind of visa should I apply for to live in Brussels. Initially, I do not need to work although I would like to after settling down. Is there something like a partner/spouse visa available?
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website
If you are married to your partner then you can initially apply for a "Visa for Family Reunification to Join Spouse", this is Visa Type D, a long-stay visa. Your partner will need to prove that he/she can financially support you, and you must also present certain documentation with your application: your marriage certificate and a copy of your spouse's residence permit (something he can get very easily as an EU-national). Obviously, at the time of application you must have a valid passport. You can apply at the Belgium consulate in your country, and after you arrive in Belgium you'll need to report to and register at the local authority in your commune. 

This visa doesn't give you the right to work though.
Anonymous

Thanks Stephanie, I figured as much but what if we're not married although we can prove that we have been living together for 12years? Is there something similar or I can still use this visa? Should I also find an immigration lawyer who will be able to handle this for me?

Anonymous

If your partner is British, you DO have the right to work, if your relationship is approved by the commune as co-habitation with EU national. You do not need to have a visa to travel to Belgium as Singaporeans do not need visas. You go straight to the commune where you will live and ask for "EEA family reunification" residency as "co-habitants". You may need to bring proof of relationship with you being long-term. It takes roughly 5 months waiting as they check you really are living together, British spouse is supporting you and not claiming public funds. Then you will be called back to the commune office and get issued with a "F card" and with this you can work without restrictions.

Anonymous

Good afternoon. I am kind of confused, i hope someone will help me. I am married to a Polish, I am a Filipina, we''ve been married for 2 years now. I'd like to visit my husband in Poland. My questions are: If I apply for a TYPE D visa, in Kuala Lumpur malaysia because the Polish honorary consul here in the Philippines doesn't process Visas anymore, is it all right if I don't have to present travel insurance because my husband will support all of my expenses including the medical thingy just in case I get sick in Poland? Or do I have to have a travel insurance? I hope someone will answer. Thanks in advance.

Read more posts about Belgium