Sign in to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

What are my visa options for Australia?

shywanderlust92's picture
By shywanderlust92 - Posted on
26 February 2016

Hello, I'm looking to move out to Melbourne or Sydney in the summer (uk) of 2017. I was wondering if a 1 to 2 year working holiday Visa would be suitable for me if I'm only planning to work barista roles and things like that. Furthermore, is it best to have a job lined up before I go, or just ensure I have enough money saved up to keep my head above water while I look when I've arrived? I'm 23, British and female.

Shantalie's picture
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

London, England

Hi shywanderlust92,

Whereabouts in Australia to plan on moving to?

You should check out the job market to ensure you have realistic ideas about the chances of landing a job and expected salaries, etc. For info on visa options check out the Visas for Australia page.


Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
SOMV's picture
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/03/2016

Hi shywanderlust92,

You can apply for a 1 year working holiday visa and then, if you do some "specified work" you may be able to extend this for another year.

If you just want to travel around and pick up bar work or things like that, there is no problem. Since you can only work for the same employer for up to 6 months at a time. There is plenty of work like that around.

Here is some more info:

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
shywanderlust92's picture
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 26/02/2016

Shantalie, I plan to go to Melbourne.

SOMV, thank you for your reply, it's really helpful as I wasn't aware that was the case. Do you know if it's possible to extend employment past 6 months, or are you allowed to work for the same employer twice if you take a hiatus from their place? :)
Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Your rating: None
SOMV's picture
Last seen: 2 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/03/2016

If you apply for a second working holiday visa you can return to the employer you had during the first working holiday visa and work for them for a further 6 months.

Your rating: None
uniroles's picture
Last seen: 1 year 48 weeks ago
Joined: 09/04/2016

Hello shywanderlust92
Somv really thanks for giving useful information.
And shy here is the link of a website; where you can find something useful:

Hope it will be useful for you.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
Anonymous's picture

I want working in AUS permanently
no experience
I live in ROK(South Korea)
when possible, moving to AUS alone
so i want entry level with no experience
especially I want manufacturing job

Your rating: None

Post new comment

Please only respond to the original question. If you have a new question, click here
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comment Note

If you are not logged in, your comment will first be moderated before showing up on the page. Thanks for being patient. Please don't resubmit your comment when you don't see it appear immediately.

If you browser seems to hang when submitting a comment, please click here and reload the main Q and A Forum Page.

Read more posts about Australia

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Become our local expat expert for your area! We are looking for contributors to help make this the ultimate guide for expats. Get in touch if you can provide useful info on your city or answer forum questions from new expats.
Find out more.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.