What are my visa options for Australia?

shywanderlust92's picture
By shywanderlust92 - Posted on
26 February 2016

Hello, I'm looking to move out to Melbourne or Sydney in the summer (uk) of 2017. I was wondering if a 1 to 2 year working holiday Visa would be suitable for me if I'm only planning to work barista roles and things like that. Furthermore, is it best to have a job lined up before I go, or just ensure I have enough money saved up to keep my head above water while I look when I've arrived? I'm 23, British and female.

Hi shywanderlust92,

Whereabouts in Australia to plan on moving to?

You should check out the job market to ensure you have realistic ideas about the chances of landing a job and expected salaries, etc. For info on visa options check out the Visas for Australia page.

SOMV's picture
Last seen: 46 weeks 8 hours ago

Hi shywanderlust92,

You can apply for a 1 year working holiday visa and then, if you do some "specified work" you may be able to extend this for another year.

If you just want to travel around and pick up bar work or things like that, there is no problem. Since you can only work for the same employer for up to 6 months at a time. There is plenty of work like that around.

Here is some more info:
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

shywanderlust92's picture
Last seen: 46 weeks 1 day ago

Shantalie, I plan to go to Melbourne.

SOMV, thank you for your reply, it's really helpful as I wasn't aware that was the case. Do you know if it's possible to extend employment past 6 months, or are you allowed to work for the same employer twice if you take a hiatus from their place? :)
Sorry if that's a stupid question.

SOMV's picture
Last seen: 46 weeks 8 hours ago

If you apply for a second working holiday visa you can return to the employer you had during the first working holiday visa and work for them for a further 6 months.

uniroles's picture

Hello shywanderlust92
Somv really thanks for giving useful information.
And shy here is the link of a website; where you can find something useful: https://uniroles.com.au/browse-by-city/Melbourne%20-%20Burwood/

Hope it will be useful for you.

Anonymous

I want working in AUS permanently
no experience
I live in ROK(South Korea)
when possible, moving to AUS alone
so i want entry level with no experience
especially I want manufacturing job

Read more posts about Australia