What are the best and worst things about living in Singapore?

tompitman's picture
By tompitman - Posted on
23 June 2016
Thinking of moving to Singapore - check out some of our readers comments on the best and worst aspects of Singapore, impartial and unedited! If you are already there, please share your experience of living in Singapore as an expat. Post comments below, or answer other questions people have asked on the forum, or contact us to complete an interview. Many thanks. 

Jarrad from Australia

Q: What do you enjoy most about Singapore? How would you rate the quality of life compared to Australia? 
A:  I enjoy everything being open in the evenings as it allows me to get a lot more done during the week. The quality of life is superb and the only downside to live in Singapore compared to Perth is the humidity.

Q: Any negatives? What do you miss most about home? 
A:  I miss family and friends as well as my clients from Perth. I also miss being able to buy a great bottle of wine for a reasonable price.

Matt from South Africa

Q: What do you enjoy most about Singapore? How would you rate the quality of life compared to South Africa? 
A: The lifestyle, the food and the weather. Quality of life is extremely high. I would rate it higher than that of middle-class South Africa. It is possible to go on tropical island weekend breaks without breaking the bank. In South Africa I’m not sure your median salary is able to regularly support such a lifestyle.

A: Turkey bacon is the pits in Singapore. Most of the fast food outlets in Singapore are Halaal despite the city state being built on Christian ideals. What I miss the most about South Africa - samosas, koeksisters, Table Mountain, and of course, my family.

Jasjit from Sydney

Q: What do you enjoy most about Singapore, how’s the quality of life?
A:  Singapore’s quality of life is of a very high standard. We love the weather and don’t miss the cold one bit! The food is unbelievable, and the buzz of the city means there’s always something to do.

A:  Sometimes the humidity can be too much to take! We miss the gorgeous beaches of Sydney!

Leo from England

Q: What do you enjoy most about your host city? How’s the quality of life in Singapore?
A:  Compared to most cities that I’ve lived Singapore is remarkably clean and safe. The quality of life is what you make it as the city caters to all tastes and price levels.

A: I left home too long ago to give an accurate comment although I enjoy visiting London where my two sons both live and work. I do miss the theatre, ballet and the West End shows.

J from Gloucestershire, England

A:  It’s very organised, clean and transportation system is cheap and reliable.

A:  No silence, roads are constantly busy, I miss the countryside and quiet roads.

Celeste from South Africa

Q: What do you enjoy most about your host city, how’s the quality of life in Singapore?
A:  Quality of life is great, cost of living is high, but you get what you pay for. Singapore is very clean, organised and safe! Singapore is a very pretty city. The people are also very friendly. The nightlife is awesome.

A:  The space! The big homes and gardens we enjoyed back home. I most miss my family and friends.

Danielle from Pennsylvania, USA

Q: What do you enjoy most about your host city, how’s the quality of life?
A: Quality of life in Singapore would be hard to beat anywhere else in the world.  The city is clean, easy to get around, English-speaking, has a large expat population and the opportunities for serious travelling, whether you like beaches, cold weather and slopes or adventure travel, are endless.

A: Singapore is a transient place, expats come and go, so forging friendships has to remain a priority regardless of how long you’ve been here.  Other than a few odd cravings for American-past times, the only bit of home I truly miss on a routine basis is family and friends. 

Read more posts about Singapore