What documents do I need to apply for a Social Security Number in the US?

SomeoneLikeU's picture
By SomeoneLikeU - Posted on
21 February 2018

Recently, I took the American Citizenship from my father. I'm over 18 years old, always lived outside the US, and planning to move within two months to the US.
So, I need to obtain my Social Security number. I learned that I have to show them documents to proof that I have not lived in the US. Do these documents must be apostilled and/or translated into English? Do they have to be translated by a sworn translator?

Daniela de Castro's picture
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago

Hi there

Have you tried contacting your local US Embassy to ask about these documents? They may be able to suggest alternate documentation that you could use in place of those you have.

The government Social Security website has a checklist of everything you need and a link to ask questions. Expat Arrivals also has a helpful guide for getting a Social Security number.

What language is your documentation in? If it is a language which is used frequently in the US it is likely that the embassy will have translators available to look at the documents. 

- Daniela

Read more posts about The USA