Hi, I am wanting to move to Calgary at some point next year and start working. My girlfriend is currently living with me in the UK but will be leaving to head back to Calgary to study next year. She is Canadian and we have been together for over a year. I have a Masters degree in engineering and currently work for a large engineering company in the UK and have so for 13 months since graduating in 2011. I scored 73 on the self assessment test for skilled workers. Should I apply online to immigrate as a skilled worker? I did think about going on the youth mobility scheme that Canada has with the UK but don't think it would help me trying to secure a job long term. If anyone has any information it would be very much appreciated. Kind Regards, Colin
Shantalie on 13 Sep 2012
Hi Colin,

As you've been in you current job for a fairly long time, it might be an idea to check if the company has an office in Calgary. If they do, you could look into the opportunity of getting an inter-company transfer. In such cases the company will take care of your visa and that will be a lot less stressful.

If you could get the skilled workers permit, it would make getting a job much easier. But you can also approach companies directly. Calgary is one the fastest growing economies in Canada and there are lots of opportunities over there, especially for engineers and your past experience will also work in your favour. Have a look at the Working in Calgary and Work Permits for Canada section for more information.