What's the cost of living in Brazil like?

JennyK's picture
By JennyK - Posted on
07 February 2013
Hey everyone, anyone got any insights about the cost of living in Brazil? I'm going to be there on a short assignment for six months. My salary will be $2,000 a month. Will this be enough to survive in Rio? My company will be providing an apartment and a driver for me. Any insights welcome!
Catherine's picture
Last seen: 1 hour 8 min ago

South Africa

South Africa

Catherine's Website
Hi Jenny, you'll find that the cost of living in Rio de Janeiro is surprizingly high - the city has featured highly on numerous international cost of living surveys, being amongst some of the most expensive cities in the world.

Whether this salary will be enough for you generally depends on your own lifestyle and the cost of living is all relative in relation to this - so depending on what your monthly expenses are - you need to factor these in. The fact that your company will be taking care of your accommodation and your transport will go a long way to helping you save and stretch this salary. I suggest you have a read of our Cost of Living in Brazil page for a comprehensive overview of what things cost in Brazil and you can then work out how far your salary will go in relation to this.

Good luck with your assignment to Rio - what a wonderful and exciting city to spend six months in!
Anonymous

please i need the address of the hsbc bank and the name of the agent to recieve my fund here in sao paulo, brasil,...

Read more posts about Brazil