Where are the best places to live as an expat in Bangkok?

Stephanie Katz's picture
By Stephanie Katz - Posted on
14 April 2011
Looking for reasonable housing in the city centre as a single, and very eligible bachelor...I can't speak Thai and I'm addicted to peanut butter - so an expat area of Bangkok would be best recommended, thanks!
Stephanie's picture

Charlotte, North Carolina (the USA)

Stephanie's Website

Most expats prefer to live in the areas of Silom, Sathorn and Sukhumvit - these neighbourhoods are the heart and soul of the city centre - close to the sleek Bangkok Sky Train (BTS), shopping malls, hospitals, museums, banging nightlife and good eats. Mind you, this area of Bangkok is also home to a fair supply of air pollution, congestion and some of the famous lady boys of the Thai night - but as a  single bachelor - perhaps that's more than suitable ;)

The cost of a flat in this part of town can be as little as 200 USD per month or as much as 2000 USD; it just depends what your expectations are and what you're willing to do without.

Your rating: None Average: 4.8 (4 votes)
Daniel Van Niekerk's picture

You can also get very good value on the outskirts of Bangkok.

There are a few up-and-coming, yet undiscovered "expat hotspots" and new developments around. Best is to google to get some info

Your rating: None Average: 2.8 (6 votes)
bkkhome's picture

Here is a good site where you can find cheap place to stay in the city center, http://bangkokcondosandapartments.com Rent starts from 4,000 baht. Goodluck finding a place to rent.

Anonymous

I have lived in Bangkok for nearly 10 years and during that time I have lived all over the city. There are always lots of considerations to take into account and whilst many expats opt for the busy Sukhumvit area I have to say that Ari (where I have been living for the past 3 years) is by far the nicest area. There are more and more expat families choosing this area now as it just has an amazing vibe about it. Its modern, boasts some fantastic condo developments but mainly because its cleaner, quieter in terms of traffic and just has some amazing restaurants, coffee shops and bars. Its a little more expensive but there are still some great deals to be had in terms of condos and houses. For parents looking for a preschool or nursery in Bangkok you have British Early Years Centre www.beyc.co.th nearby which many of my friends send their children to. There are two Villa Markets in close proximity which sell a great range of western foods as well a Bic C (cheap supermarket) in nearby Saphan Kwai. I love Ari and can not see myself moving away from here.

SeanLeeB's picture

As we know, locals and expats prefer to live in Bangkok because of many opportunities that this city has to offer. It is so far one of the nicest city in Thailand. I've been living in Sukhumvit for 5 years now and I love it. There are of course other places in Bangkok that I think are ideal for expats. You may want to check this out baanguru(dot)com/en/blog/top-10-best-places-to-live-in-bangkok-for-2016/

Read more posts about Thailand