We have recently moved to mozambique from South Afrcia currently renting a house in Matola. Where can I go grocery shopping. I know that there are some south african chains around (Shoprite, Spar) but these are relatively expensive compared to South Africa. Thanks Kiveshb
Shantalie on 16 May 2014
Hi Kivesh,

Yes, you will find similiar chain supermarkets like Shoprite and Spar in Maputo, but prices are generally higher than those you would find in South Africa. You can also try Super Mar, which is a local supermarket.

A great way of saving money on groceries is to shop at local markets where you can get fresh, local produce that is in season without the hefty mark up found at supermarkets. Mercado Municpal, Mercado de Peixe (specialising in freshly caught fish) and Mercado de Xipamanine are great places for getting all your essential food stuff.

Good luck with your move to Mozambique.

Anonymous (not verified) on 18 May 2014
Hi Shantalie Thanks a mil for the feedback. I will try and find these bright and early next week end Cheers k
Anonymous (not verified) on 31 May 2014
Where can I find an Indian Grocery in Maputo