Posted by tompitman
Here are the views of some of our contributors on the best areas to live in Mumbai.
tompitman on 18 Sep 2013
Bombay Jules (from London):  Research very carefully which area you want to live in.  For expats, these usually fall into three camps – Bandra, Powai or Malabar Hill. A lot of people with children tend to live in Powai with its towering new apartment blocks and access to good schools.  But it is quite a way out of central Mumbai so you can end up feeling cut off unless you are prepared to travel in Mumbai traffic to get south.  Bandra (where I live) has a younger vibe and is close to lots of trendy restaurants and shops and only an hour from south Bombay via the Sealink.  It is very popular with expats.  Malabar Hill is the most refined part of Bombay with its clean, leafy streets and colonial buildings.  But in my opinion, there is less choice of restaurants and things to do and tends to suit older couples or people who have been living in the city for a long time.   If you have children, where they go to school will be a deciding factor on where you live.  

Mathilde (from France): All depends on where your office is located. In the south the expat districts (for residential and life quality) are Breach Candy, Malabar Hill, Kemps Corner. And in the north Worli, Lower Parel, Bandra West, Khar West. However, there are also the most expensive ones. If you cannot afford such rent, Andheri and Powai are two areas which are expending and have good quality flats for the price.

Rakhee (from Australia): Bandra is certainly a good place for an expat with a diverse population, both local and expats.  Mumbai is a big city and there are many new pockets that I am still exploring.

Lindsey (from England): Most expats live in Bandra, Juhu or Powai. We used to live in Bandra but decided to move to a new building in Andheri West where you get a lot more for your money. The nicest place to live is South Mumbai as there is a very different feel to the old city. The architecture is fabulous and the streets are clean and wide. However, most international schools are in the northern suburbs.

You can see the full interviews with expats living in Mumbai

P
LEASE add your own comments and experiences on the best areas to live in Mumbai...
bluecamas on 2 Apr 2014
My husband and I choice is Colaba. I am from Canada and have been to Mumbai 3 times.The last time my husband took my all around Mumbai so I could see. It ends up Colaba spoke to us. It takes a bit to make the move.Set for August. I like India and the people. My husband speaks English mainly and can not tolerate the spicy food. So we will be cooking "western" food.I do have an online business.Accounting and Bookkeeping.I think that will help a lot. Plus a loving husband and supportive family back in Canada.
Pritesh Jethwa… on 8 Jun 2014
Expat friendly areas in Mumbai range from South Mumbai i.e. Colaba, Worli, Parel, Breach Candy. Further North, Bandra is the ultimate suburb for Expats to live in. In the end, it all depends on one's flexibility, commute preference and office location. Keep in mind rents in these areas have gone up lately, so finding a place eventually boils down to having a healthy package. If any one here needs any assistance how to go about it, do not hesitate to get in touch with us. We specialize in Expat Relocations & have been doing so since the last 4 years. One could visit our FB Page for more clarity: https://www.facebook.com/Expatpropsmumbai
Anonymous (not verified) on 15 Aug 2014
Bandra is the best place to live, ample greenery, restaurants and sea. If you plan to come visit and are interested in seeing rental apartments give me a call on 9833364090 Mehraz.
sky069 on 29 Oct 2014
Well, Mumbai is a big city, So there are many Area's are good for staying. It's all depend on your budget. If any buddy coming here, Then this days I'm also in Mumbai so hope I can help to find your palaces if I've spare time. I am honestly like to help to Ppl visit from overseas no any charge. I can speak English and Chinese very well & Hindi is Native. I like to exchange languages and know about other cultures and religion's. My Mobile : Nine7020549two1 My Skype: sky06996 Pls chat me to know more ....
nirmaljaincft on 21 Nov 2014
If you choose to live around some good restaurants in Mumbai, choose bandra west you can also check the kind of restaurants available here https://www.grouptable.com/Mumbai/restaurants/Bandra-West
Anonymous (not verified) on 3 Jan 2015
Personally id recommend south Mumbai, but the costs are staggering. Even very well paid expats may well find it tough to find and afford something there. Id recommend that your company HR department recommend you a place, or engage a relocation company to assist. There are many factors that come into play- e.g. schools, children, proximity to the office, etc etc.