Sign in to join the discussion or ask one of our experts another question.

Will my children have access to free education if I move to the UK?

BernadetteIbecheole's picture
By BernadetteIbecheole - Posted on
15 April 2017

I am a Swiss/Nigerian citizen and so are my kids. I would like to relocate to the UK for educational purposes. I have kids in pre-university, Secondary and Primary level. I would like to find out what my odds are for my kids to go to school there, financially speaking (low cost or no cost at all), and I would like to know areas where the cost of living is affordable, areas that have schools for an ADHD child.

Shantalie's picture
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/08/2012

Living in:
Cape Town, South Africa

London, England

Hi Bernadette,

What visa will you be on when you move to the UK?

Expats who legally have a reason to live/work in the UK can send their children to a British state (public) school at no cost. However, you may need to contribute towards the cost of uniforms and school excursions, etc.

The standard of state schools in the UK vary quite significantly depending on the area you live in. Some are really good and the others are struggling to meet basic standards. You can check OFSTED's website to get an idea of how good a school is. 

For some background information check out the Expat Arrivals page on Education and Schools in the UK for more info.

Good luck


Your rating: None Average: 5 (1 vote)
BernadetteIbecheole's picture
Last seen: 46 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 15/04/2017

Hi thank you for your response.

The children are Swiss citizens. Do they ab advantage to school there at no cost?

Your rating: None

Post new comment

Please only respond to the original question. If you have a new question, click here
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.

Comment Note

If you are not logged in, your comment will first be moderated before showing up on the page. Thanks for being patient. Please don't resubmit your comment when you don't see it appear immediately.

If you browser seems to hang when submitting a comment, please click here and reload the main Q and A Forum Page.

Read more posts about The United Kingdom

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.