Will my TB Scar and active Hepatitis B affect my UAE visa application?

cara's picture
By cara - Posted on
23 April 2017

Hi! I have a TB scar and a hepatitis B active. I am planning to apply for a job in any of the gulf countries where I can find vacancy for Accountant. I have been reading a few articles that for newcomers, they will be automatically deemed unfit if they will be tested positive for both. However, I have also read that it only applies to the professions with direct human contact. I am confused. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi Cara,

As far as I know, your profession means that you won't need to undergo Hepatitis B testing. However, all expats going to the UAE to work, regardless of their profession, need to be tested for TB, leprosy and HIV – a positive on any of these tests is enough for the visa to be refused.

There were some reforms made to the TB law about a year ago with regards to TB scars, but unless you have a spouse or parent living in the UAE to sponsor you, your visa will unfortunately be refused if you have a TB scar. You can read more in this article from the Khaleej Times: 'UAE Residents Seek Clarity on TB Policy'. (There's a fact box in the article that has a concise summary of the updated rules.)

The best course of action would be to get in touch with your local UAE embassy to double check this information.

Best of luck.

Read more posts about Abu Dhabi