Posted by QZM
Hello all, I've received a job offer from a company that does celebrity newswriting based in Lisbon. The thing is, I'm not 100% sure I should take it. A couple qualms about the work itself aside, I'm not sure if the budgeting will work out. They're offering me something in the neighborhood of 24,500 Euros a year, but when I try to mock up a budget I'm running into some difficulties. I'm not sure what that will look like post-tax (I'm apparently in the 37% income tax bracket?) and some prices aren't clear. How my US taxes play into things is also kind of murky. Going by the usual adage that you should spend roughly 1/3 of your take home on rent, I should have around 330 Euros a month, not counting utilities. But I'm not sure if that rule of thumb applies in Portugal. So, I ask you: Should I, a 25 year old American white guy consider making this move for that salary? Or would I find myself living hand-to-mouth with low savings and little discretionary spending? I'm looking into getting more info about certain aspects of the job, but I know that it likely won't be a source of great personal fulfillment but also not a major stressor. Ideally I'd like live somewhat bohemian and pursue some personal creative projects in my time off.
EmmaL on 6 Nov 2017
Hi QZM

Read our guide to working in Portugal for a start. As an expat, your income tax will be different than residents, and most expat tax is capped at 20%. This article also explains more about tax for expats in Portugal. 

You can also have a look at our page on cost of living for Portugal to see whether taking the job will be worth it or not. Ultimately, the choice remains yours, but generally, the standard of living in Portugal is good and the quality of life is even better. Where are you living right now?

Hope this helped,