Hi there, We are young couple and our 3 year-old son thinking about moving to Brussels. I have been offered an NGO position in the St-Gilles area and was quoted a monthly salary of 1420 EUR per month net + Meal vouchers (120EUR) and Public Transit reimbursement. Although we are not the luxury-lifestyle types, we want to make sure this salry will allow our son to go to school and for us to live normally. We have lived in Germany on a 1700EUR net /year salary and spent 700EUR on rent and we found it to be OK. My questions are: 1) Is school free for our 3 year old son? 2) Can we find a small apartment for around 5-600EUR ? PS: WE all speak fluent french and my spouse will be getting a Type-C visa, allowing her to undertake work. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks you all and I look forward to some advice :)
Aquamarina on 28 Aug 2015
as a p.s to maybe a strange comment re 'the right village' Brussels is made up of French Speakers and Flemish speakers (walloons) and never the twain shall meet .It's sometimes caused huge problems in the past.My friends moved from the Netherlands to Brussels and altho they were both fluent French speakers,thought Belgium was ALL Flemish speakers..BIG MISTAKE..when they registered at the town hall which controlled their village ,they spoke Flemish throughout.Nothing was said.However at the end they were handed a fine of 300 euro's..for speaking Flemish.!!! Ironic as the village they had chosen was French. speaking. None had said a thing..yikes
Aquamarina on 28 Aug 2015
Hi Gasconyc I used to live for many yrs in the Netherlands on the Belgium border .Brussels was just an hour away so I know it quite well.However I would strongly suggest that you get in touch with the International Women's Club of Brussels..made up of many nationalities, usually a font of information hard won by these mostly 'trailing Spouses'' what they'don't know about a town' etc lol..They will be able to point you to the right village to live for french speakers (vital) the right schools etc etc... Good luck