Utilities in Hong Kong

Unless expats choose to live in a fully serviced apartment building, they will most likely be responsible for setting up an account with water, gas, electricity and refuse service providers once they have found accommodation in Hong Kong. Utility bills are rarely included in the monthly rental fee, so expats will have to take these into account when planning a budget. Costs vary depending on usage and may differ from one service provider to the next.


Two companies supply electricity in Hong Kong and each of these cover certain areas of the island, which makes getting connected a simple procedure for expats. Hongkong Electric supplies Hong Kong Island and Lamma Island, while China Light & Power (CLP) serves Kowloon, the New Territories and Outlying Islands. 

Expats can open an electricity account online or in person with their Hong Kong ID card or passport at the relevant company’s office. Setting up or transferring an electrical account takes only a few days, but requires a deposit of an estimated 60 days’ usage. Hongkong Electric bills are issued monthly, while CLP bills are issued bi-monthly. Expats can pay via direct debit, credit card, at ATMs, online or by cheque.

Expats leaving Hong Kong must give notice to their service provider at least two days before they want the electrical supply to be disconnected. Thereafter, they can request to have their deposit refunded.


Water in Hong Kong is supplied by the Water Supplies Department (WSD). Expats can open an account in person at one of the customer centres by downloading the relevant form from the website and sending it in by post. They’ll need to provide a copy of their Hong Kong ID card or passport and pay a deposit. Applications usually take a week to process. Bills are sent out quarterly and can be paid online or at an ATM.


Gas in Hong Kong is supplied by Towngas and expats can set up their account online or in person at one of the service centres. They’ll need to provide a passport or Hong Kong ID card number, as well as a deposit. A technician will need to conduct an inspection of the property in question and meter readers will visit the premises every few months.

Towngas covers most of Hong Kong, but various suppliers will deliver LPG cylinders to those areas that aren’t.