Visas for Singapore

Citizens of many countries don't need to apply for a visa for Singapore if they intend to stay for less than 30 or 90 days, depending on their nationalities. These include nationals of South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the US, the UK and Ireland, among others, but exclude India, Russia and China. 

All expats would need an Employment Pass to work in Singapore or a Study Pass to study. Expats will need to begin by finding employment or gaining acceptance to an institution to qualify.

The government has been under some pressure to reduce the country's intake of foreigners and to hire more Singaporean citizens for jobs where qualified locals can be found. But there is still a high demand for qualified foreigners in certain industries, so securing a job and getting sponsored by a Singaporean company can still be easier than in many other countries. 

Short-term visit pass for Singapore (visa-exempt countries)

Visa-exempt countries

Travellers allowed visa-free entry into Singapore may be allowed to enter the city-state for either 30 days or 90 days – the length of entry permitted depends entirely on one's country of citizenship. A Visit Pass will be issued on entry to Singapore.

When arriving at the border, visitors will need:

  • A passport valid for six months beyond the date of entry

  • Proof of onward/return travel

  • Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of the visit

If needing to stay in Singapore beyond the allotted time, visitors must apply for an extension of stay. This must be done before the expiry of the original length of entry.

Entry visa for Singapore (all other countries)

Citizens not from a visa-exempt country will need to apply for an Entry Visa ahead of time. Citizens of certain countries must apply online for an e-Visa, while citizens of other countries will need to apply in person at their nearest Singaporean embassy or consulate.

In addition to the requirements listed above, applicants will also need:

  • A completed application form

  • Recent passport-sized colour photo

  • A copy of applicant's passport (valid for six months after date of entry)

  • A Letter of Introduction (LOI) from a citizen or permanent resident in Singapore

Long-term visit pass for Singapore

Foreigners with a family member who is a citizen or permanent resident of Singapore may apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LVTP). All applicants are also considered for the LVTP+, which allows the holder longer periods of residency as well as access to health and employment benefits.

Employment pass for Singapore

If wanting to work in Singapore, it's necessary to find employment so the employer can apply for an Employment Pass (EP) on the applicant's behalf. The EP is the equivalent of a work visa or work permit in other destinations.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.