Work Permits for Ireland

►Buy the Expat Guide to Ireland in PDF format.


work permit in Ireland
Citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein do not need a work permit for Ireland.  

Expats moving to Ireland from elsewhere need an employment offer before applying for and obtaining an Irish work permit. As a result, many companies handle much of the visa process on behalf of their foreign employees.
There are four types of employment permits for Ireland: general work permits, critical skills permits, spousal/dependent work permits and intra-company transfer permits.

Work permits for Ireland

Work permits for Ireland are issued by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation and can be applied for by the employer or the employee, based on an offer of employment.
An Irish employment permit is valid for two years with options for renewal, and either the employer or employee will need to pay processing fees.
Work permits are only available for positions that pay at least 30,000 EUR a year, and the candidate must have the relevant qualifications, skills and experience for the job.

Critical skills permit

Formerly known as the Green Card, the Critical Skills Employment Permit is aimed at attracting skilled expats to Ireland.
To qualify for the permit, the candidate’s proposed salary would need to be more than 60,000 EUR a year or they have to be suitable for a position listed in the Highly Skilled Occupations List. The list highlights local skills and personnel shortages in fields such as IT, healthcare, construction and finance. In this case, the employee’s annual salary would have to be at least 30,000 EUR.
The critical skills permit is valid for two years and does not need to be renewed; expats may be granted a stamp for permission to stay for another two years when the permit expires, provided they still working in the same occupation, for the same employer and for at least the same salary stated on the permit.

Intra-company transfer work permits

An intra-company transfer permit is aimed at transferring employees within the same company. These employees need to earn an annual salary of at least 40,000 EUR and either be senior management, attending training or have a good reason for transferring. If the expat leaves the company their work permit is also terminated. Once a work permit is granted to an expat, their spouse and children can also qualify for a work permit without having to meet such stringent requirements.

Spousal work permits for Ireland

Since October 2014, the Dependent/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit has made it easier for the children, spouse or recognised partner of a critical skills permit holder or a researcher with an Irish Hosting Agreement to get work in Ireland.

In order to apply, the partner or dependant needs to already be living in Ireland. The person holding the original work permit needs to have made their first work permit application prior to June 2009.
Applicants can apply for positions with the permit, provided that it does not take place in a domestic setting (except in the case of certain care staff).
To apply for the permit, applicants will need to have a job offer as well as the required skills and experience for the position.
*Requirements for employment and work permits are subject to change at short notice and expats are advised to consult with their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.

Search Expat Arrivals

Become our local expat expert for your area!

Expat Arrivals is looking for contributors to make this the ultimate guide for international expats.

If you are an established expat who could make time to write useful information for expats in your city and answering forum questions from new and prospective expats, please contact us.

As our local expert you can have your profile showing on each page you publish, and will have an option to promote your website or blog.

Got a question about your new country?

Login with your Facebook account (Recommended)
, after login or registration your account will be connected.